[help] easy way to type french in english ibook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steelfist, Aug 18, 2005.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i heard that mac OSX has a cool feature: to type symbols that you can't type in windows, and in windows, you have to go to the symbol section to search for the symbol and then cut and paste. how do you do it?

i need to type in "sa" which looks like a C with a little s below it. how? how do you type the normal english letters but also add french attributes like e with a dash over it?

i need to know these tricks and other french typing tips for my french 2 class. i want to make use of the features in OSX that windows dosen't have. :D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From Apple's Support site:

Of course, it's actually much easier to do than the description makes out and you'll soon learn what each individual character's key code is. Also, sorry but I'm not sure this will work in Office (hopefully it will but I can't check now). If it doesn't you may want to use iWork or the free app called TextEdit that came with the Mac. I hope this helps. :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is all based on the US keyboard, but I think it's same for the UK English keboard.

To type the ç in français, you press option-c. To type the accent in this character: é, you press option-e, and then the character you want it on (so option-e, e -> é). To get this accent è, you press option-`, and then the character you want it on. To get this accent: ê, you press option-i and then the character. All eminently googleable stuff. ;) Hope it helps, though.

IIRC, French uses these quotes: «Vous avez raison.» You can get them on the US keyboard by Option-\ and Option-| (same key, with and without shift).

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try option-C (aka alt-C) for ç and shift-option-C for Ç.

Works on my (Norwegian) keyboard, might be the same on an English one... :)

Edit: Beaten by two - 2 - minutes. Embarrassing... :eek: ...oh, well I'll live... ;) Note-to-self: Open fewer tabs...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't had any luck finding an official list of these though. I don't suppose you'd know of one? It'd be really nice to have a comprehensive list of shortcuts and all I found in the Apple Support site was that link I posted. :(

If you know where one is, that'd be awesome, thanks. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This list is not official but is more extensive (not Francocentric), but was the first one I found on Google:

http://www.colby.edu/lrc/accents.html

I think Apple's site recommends using Character Palette or Keyboard Viewer instead, as you suggested. :eek:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I wonder why Apple insist on leading users down the Character Palette path. It's much more convoluted IMO. :confused:

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sadly, I think it's because people are used to going hunting in Windows so it's easier for switchers to have a single place to go.

The other thing is that most people are 'mousers' rather than keyboard shortcut junkies. Colleagues in the office can't recall Ctrl C or Ctrl V (it's a Windows office) for copy and paste so they'd have no chance of remembering accents. Having said that, I've just remembered the Windows keyboard shortcut so I can type Exposé properly at work... ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:eek:

Isn't that something like #1425362KL52 then e! I hate the Windows "shortcuts".

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

If it has been that, I wouldn't have remembered it. You just have to hold down the 'Alt Gr' key and the 'e' key to get a é. Of course, that doesn't work to get grave accents, circumflexes, umlauts et al. But it does work on áéóú

But doing 'Alt Gr' and 'i' seems to open up 'help' for a program that I don't actually have open... :confused:

11. mpw Guest

In windows you can Ctrl+, , c for c with a 'cydilic (I think it's called) and Alt Gr+u will give you ú Ctrl+: , u will give you a u with two dots over it which is used in German I think.

There's quite a few variations on these shortcuts which I used to use in another job with lots of European correspondence. If you've got access to MS Word they're all listed if you go to 'Sybols' in the 'Insert' menu. I'm pretty sure the same shortcuts'll work in all MS Office products.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I knew they were hidden in there somewhere but yes, using Word's Symbol is what I usually end up doing for formal writing. On the Mac, I tend to use them even in casual emails since they're only an option key away rather than recalling different modifiers etc. It does illustrate the point though that it's easier for Apple to suggest going to the character palette than listing them all. ;)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Halfway down in this thread is a link to a similar page explaining how to do it in Windows. :)