HELP! Ebay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by liketom, Oct 12, 2004.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

I was selling a palm Tungsten T on ebay and had a buy it now on for £119 , all went well i had a buyer and after about a day i got an e-mail from him :

my auction link : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5725222805&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT

e-mail from seller about 10 min ago:

"DEAR SELLER,
    COMPLIEMENT OF THE SEASON,I AM **** ***** FROM HOLLAND. I SAW YOUR ITEM BELOW AND I WILL LIKE TO BUY IT FOR MY DAUGHTER THAT WILL BE DOING HER BIRTHDAY IN NIGERIA NEXT WEEK. SO MAIL ME NOW THE AMOUNT YOU WILL BE SELLING IT WITH THE SHIPPING COST TO MY DAUGTHER BY FEDEX.I WILL BE PAYING YOU THROUGH WESTERN UNION POSTAL MONEY ORDER SO MAIL ME NOW BECASUE ITS URGENT.SO MAIL ME NOW WITH YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS TO MAKE PAYMENT NOW SO THIS IS MY DAUGHTER ADDRESS WHERE IS GOING TO BE SHIPPED TO

NAME:***********"

ok so to me this looks like a scam , ADVICE NEEDED i could just report him as a non payer but i feel there has to be something more i can do.

Tom

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think it looks like a scam from a million miles off. apparantly western union transactions are always dodgy or something like that. one was you find out is to only offer them payment through paypal or by cheque but only send it when the cheque has cleared. if you offer these possibilities to the person and they are legit there should be no problem. ubt i bet if not things will go cold from their end.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

also the persons feedback looks slightly dodgy!

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Yes it's a scam. From his feedback he's tried several times to get expensive stuff shipped to Nigeria. He also wants to use Western Union.

Refuse point blank to ship it to Africa. You said you only ship to the UK.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's a scam....

SO DON'T MAIL HIM NOW.....

Sad to think that anyone would ship it. More and more I'm getting to think ebay is going to be getting in trouble or seriously hurt by the scams...

D

6. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Thanks all for your reply's , i have e-mailed hime saying i will only accept paypal/cheque/postal order (uk) and will only ship to him if he covers the postage cost to the netherlands NO WHERE ELSE .

Ta

Tom

see what happens

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Are you going to get the money first before you ship it?

I heard another scam using paypal was to have a credit card decline the charge after 3 months or something like that and then paypal takes the money out of your account.

One reason I don't like ebay.

D

8. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

no way am i sending it first , whats this about paypal ? not heard about that before makes me think about all them tranactions i have taken and sent out goods already.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it looks fishy, but if you get the money first, there's no trouble. (short of you giving out real identity and the guy comes to rob you.) ANYTIME EMAILS ARE TYPED IN CAPS (OR INVOLVE NIGERIA), IT'S TROUBLE!!!!111!!! :D

using western union to send money is a bad idea. using it to receive payment is not a problem at all, you get cash, fast.

you can tell him to wire the money and you'll ship it when you get the money... if gives you a runaround about how urgent it is that you need to ship asap and he'll pay, blah, blah, then you can bet it's a scam.

10. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

OK Bad Feedback Needed

right so looks like he has had some more bad feedbacks added to his user acc , i'm gonna put my neg in next but can anyone think of a good line to put in ??? feel a bit sad putting rubbish buyer .

ta

Tom

11. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Report it to ebay first. Wait and see what he says and if he sends any money.

If it doesn't work out (which looks VERY likely) then post feedback that the transaction was not completed as you suspected fraud.