Help ejecting a disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hurl everstone, Jul 14, 2005.

1. hurl everstone macrumors newbie

(Powerbook G4, running Tiger 10.4.2)
    I've got a cd that refuses to eject in Itunes. I've tried restarting while holding down the trackpad, and restarting in Open Firmware. No luck either way. The "eject" icon shows up when I drag it to the trash, it makes all the normal "wanting to eject" noises, but then it just sticks and relaunches Itunes.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. hurl everstone thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried all that, still no luck

Open Firmware, restart while holding trackpad button, etc. Nothing works. It just sucks the cd back in and launches Itunes. Time to hit the repair shop, I guess?

3. jmort macrumors member

Ya,

If you say you can hear it trying to eject, it doesn't sound like an issue with your computer being stubborn, but rather a bad disk or some physical damage that is preventing an eject.

It sounds to me like a repair shop would be the next option. Or, send it in to apple if you have applecare.

JM

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Try restarting and holding down eject from the startup sound.

5. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

They don't all have that option

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Did you try holding "Comand + E" keys while booting (just after the boot chime).

8. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

i've had the same problem with my ibook g4 tried all kinds of things and the disc wouldn't come out.(the mechanism kicks in and you can here it operating but it can't eject the cd) brought it back to the apple store and they replaced my drive with a new one. took about 3 day's.but now it's working without any probelms.

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

The only other thing to try is terminal:

or
    1. Type the command drutil list into the Terminal and press return . This will provide a list of all currently connected removable devices. -- connect FireWire/USB drives for this
    2. Use the command drutil tray eject 1

From this site. Although the problem does sound mechanical if none of the other techniques will work.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Can we assume that no reply from Mr Hurl means he got the disc out anyway?

Or maybe he's sent it off... who noes?

11. hurl everstone thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck yet

Thanks for all the input, but ye olde cd is still in there. Itunes is functioned just fine other than this annoyance. I'm hoping not to have to take the sucker to the shop, but it's looking that way...