Help! eMac has fluctuating horizontal lines.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chumdinger, Mar 21, 2004.

1. chumdinger macrumors newbie

My eMac is having fluctuating horizontal lines.

Also, the screen display also looks like an upside down trapazoid. I've used the geometry controls in the display setting to correct as much as possible but the problem still persists.

I think there is a problem with the monitor (obviously) cause the computer software works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong? And is there a quick fix? Please help. Thanks.

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

is there anything magnetic close to it? if not then all I can think of is that the screen is starting to die.

3. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

is this the raster shift problem? if it is, it is quite expensive to fix

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Music on?

I used to use an eMac where the screen image would waver when the music was on loud. Kind of a poor design, but turning the music down or using external speakers would fix the problem.

5. chumdinger thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it is not next to anything electrical and there is no music playing.

That would explain the horizontal lines. But not the distortion of the screen shape.

I did notice that after about 2 hours of using it, the lines would dissappear and the sceen would let me adjust the position so the display fills the entire screen.

Sounds like an expendsive problem to me.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

is it still under applecare?

7. chumdinger thread starter macrumors newbie

nope. too bad.

8. appleboy macrumors newbie

I had this problem with my emac it was a airflow issue I had it in one of those cheapo computerdesks thats has a cardboard back when i moved it it went away i think the video gpu just gets to hot and starts to screw up

9. crystalb24 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my eMac about 6 months after I bought it. Ended up blowing out the display three times before they finally had to replace the entire component. Thankfully it was covered by the warrenty because otherwise it's a mighty expensive problem to get fixed. Hope it all works out for you.