help! ethernet wont connect? i don't know how to fix it :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by charlestrippy, Dec 7, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

So - usually my MBP works fine with the ethernet settings but I think my friend messed with them because when I plug in now - it doesn't connect...under network status it says its conected but not connected to the net..."built in ethernet is currently active. built in ethernet has a selfassigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet"

im not sure how to reset the ethernet settings to default and get them working again - anyone have an idea?

please?

thanks!

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

Go to the network preferences, select your "built-in ethernet" and click on Configure.

Make sure it says "Using DHCP".

This is assuming you get an IP address from your router or from your ISP.

There's also an "Assist me..." button on that page, that may help you out.

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah, i did that - when I click "using dhcp" it already has an ip assigned ... and it still isn't working?

i think my friend was trying to set it up so the xbox 360 uses the mac for its wireless to connect to my router...would that have done anything??

this was the site he was using to try and do it...

http://www.slightlyremarkable.com/2006/04/xbox-live-via-mac

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

Have you tried clicking the "Renew DHCP Lease" button?

Actually I don't know what might cause your problem, but you should be able to fix it from the network settings window.

If it's about the wireless connection, make sure to check the "Airport" network instead of the "Built-in Ethernet" one.

5. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah, i clicked the renew DHCP lease as well...i don't have airport/wireless in this location that's why im trying to plug directly in with an ethernet cord - this is frustrating...

anyone else know how to put this back to factory default?

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Have you check to see if its the modem and maybe the modem needs a hard reset?

Bless

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

What kind of router are you using? Does it work plugged directly into the modem?

EDIT: By it I mean the Mac, does it work plugged directly into the modem?

8. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

see - i thought that may be the issue too - however, when i plug it into a pc the pc works fine....i take the cord out plug it into my mac - no go...

the modem's working cuz the pc gets on fine... :(

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That was not the question asked. Broadband modems don't like switching from another computer to a MacOS X-based computer. If you do so, then you have to do a hard reset of the modem. If you are using multiple computers with a single broadband modem, you should connect a router to the modem and connect each computer through the router. Otherwise, you will have to do the hard reset whenever you switch to MacOS X.

10. scotpole macrumors member

Check apple talk

In the preference under the networking icon, check apple talk make sure it is turned on. Check all the tabs and if you are happy with your settings move on.
    A cheaper alternative to a router could be an ethernet switch. Run an enet cable out of modem and into the switch and you can share printers and computers.
    Also check your other computer. Is it on the internet over DHCP, or did you assign a Static address(like 176.18.12.00 or 10.0.1.19) to that computer? You may have to use that static address on your Mac.