help exporting movies in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lopresmb, Aug 14, 2005.

1. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    After editing some video in iMovie, when I try and export it, it won't play on any other machines.

I tried exporting it as a full quality DV Quicktime format movie, and it will save, export and play just fine on the Mac, but when I move the file (about 200 mb) and try to play it in quicktime on another machine, it won't play.

Any ideas? Doesn't make sense that it shouldn't work elsewhere. I am trying to save a copy to back up on my PC, but it just won't work. Thanks for the help...
  2. lopresmb thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
  3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    "Won't play"= no audio? or both video and audio? Have you tried selecting "Expert" settings under Share and maybe selecting mp4 or another format options?
  4. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    hmmmm. good question. I hope someone who knows steps up to the plate and helps you out.
  5. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2005
    If you mean that your file has no audio when you tried to play it, it might be Muxed, meaning the video and audio is combined into one file, but iMovie doesn't seem to recgonize this. Just look up Demuxing video on Google or whatever, and there's a bunch of programs to do this. In short though you'll have to Demux the video, so that video and audio are two files, and then combine them back into a format that iMovie will recgonize. It's a pain, since I had to do this for a video I shot on an older camera, but it works.
  6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    Couple of questions first

1. Does the PC have Quicktime for Windows installed?

2. Did you click "Make Self Contained Movie" at the bottom of the export window?
  7. lopresmb thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005

--thanks for the help, I mean no video and no audio, and yes I do have quicktime for windows installed. It opens the file but won't play anything...its just a blank quicktime video bar

--haven't tried the self contained movie, didn't see it when I tired, I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens...
  8. lopresmb thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    it worked!

Thanks so much, exporting as a self contained movie allowed it to work on other machines (audio + video)

--One caveat -- my stupid windows box won't recognize the file as a quicktime file, though it will open and play it if I tell it what program to open it with. Weird, but it works, just wodering why that was the case,

but, thanks again
  9. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Right click the file in Windows and click open with...
    Select Quicktime and check the box that says Always use this application
    with this file type.