Help! FCP won't start!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by silverback66, Oct 18, 2005.

1. silverback66 macrumors regular

I've been editing my latest film for the past two months and typically I keep final cut running since I just put my computer to sleep at night. Well last night I was trying to speed up other apps I was running so I saved and quit out of final cut. Now it crashes instantly when I try to start it. Can anyone help me with this? It's 4.5 that I'm using by the way if that helps any.

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Try trashing your FCP preferences file and see if that helps. You will need to empty the trash before starting up FCP b/c OSX will look in the trash for the bad file.

3. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

I deleted the preferences file and tried it and it didn't work, but looking at the list here, there three other files that have the preferences listed as "parent". Should I delete those too?

they're labelled:

Final Cut Pro User Data
    com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist
    and
    com.apple.RegFinalCutPro.plist

4. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

If I'm thinking correctly, the preference file that you want to trash can be found at Users --> (your user name) --> Library --> Preferences --> Final Cut Pro User Data --> Final Cut Pro 4.5 Preferences (this is the file). If this is the file that you did erase, then I am not sure what's going on. As for the file named com.apple.RegFinalCutPro.plist, this is your registration file so I wouldn't trash that.

5. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

So do I have any other options here? It seems like FCP is the only app affected.

6. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Make sure your capture files and project files are saved and backed up and reinstall FCP. That's about the only suggestion I can think of. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

7. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

I was afraid of that. Looks like I won't be finishing my movie anytime soon. My install disks are back at home and I won't be there until Christmas.

8. BenJolene macrumors newbie

Try repairing permissions from Disk Utility. And if you can boot from another disk, repair your hard drive using Disk Utility or (if you have it) Disk Warrior.