HELP! finder problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by russed, Feb 18, 2005.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

right, i am having major finder problems. every time i turn my computer on finder never starts up, i just get the spinning beachball but all the other programmes work. i have to relaunch finder several times before it gets working but it always takes a few minutes to get itself going after relaunch. i have tried all the usual things such as repairing permissions etc. so basically any other ideas? i have noticed that my drives do not show on the desktop till finder has started, could it be something to do with that (e.g. my internal drive is going?) i dont think this coud be the case as i can launch other programmes that are on the dock as that is there.

so any ideas?

2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Finder is responsible for display the desktop and any icons on it, so that's whey you won't see your Drives until Finder start's up.

Try trashing Findedr's pref's file and see if that makes a difference.

3. altair macrumors regular

Im having the same problem, but its not every time for me, just randomly.

Also its happening to my parents imac.

Id been meaning to ask but got lazy :p

Does trashing the finder pref file kill all your settings or anything?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

trashing your finder's prefs will get rid of the preferences that you have set for the finder, but not for the system, so it shouldnt be that hard to reset them, but it maybe a solution to the problem so i would give it a go

5. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I had a problem like this. One of the aliases on my finder sidebar was trying to connect to a server and causing a lockup. Try booting in the safe mode and deleting aliases.

see this link

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@120.O2araWLfQVF.0@.68a50506/7

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

7. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

right, i think things seem to be better. i have trashed the preferences and i have started up 4 times ok but i did have only my second only kernel panic in 18 months of owning a mac straight after one of those start ups. I am on 10.3.8, i think i will monitor this problem before i take drastic action in reformatting things!

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It happened when I upgraded to 10.3.8. Doing a archive and install didn't help. I then just wiped my HD clean and did a completely clean install. Re-installed my apps and transfered over my bookmarks, calendar, and mail, music and photo data and now it runs very fast. There is no reason for any sort of delay.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I had problems when I upgraded to 10.3.8 so do a bunch of other people. The way I fixed all my problem was to install the combo update for 10.3.8 from apples site it is a huge 100 MB file but it fixed all my problems it also fixed other peoples problems.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've seen the problem as well, but have never had to reinstall the OS for this or any other reason. My broken-record recommendation: download and install Applejack, which runs from the command line in single user mode. Run all of the tests and repairs in autopilot mode. This has fixed every problem I've ever had, including the one described here.