Help - Finder won't relaunch, don't want to lose work...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Greg_C, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Greg_C macrumors member

I'm hoping someone can help me out...my MacBook Pro went to sleep with a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium plugged in, which I didn't think twice about. It woke up just fine, but when I tried to access a file on the Cruzer, Finder locked up on me (the LED on the Cruzer also never came on...odd) I was able to force quit Finder, but now it won't relaunch. :confused: I'm working on a school paper stored on the USB drive, so I don't want to try unplugging it or restarting my MBP if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unplugging it should be fine. Finder's a bit horrible when it comes to externals, and I can't see this getting sorted out 'til it gets unplugged. :(

3. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Wow thanks a lot for the fast reply mad jew. I just needed to hear someone else recommend unplugging the thing before I did it...sure enough Finder came right up as soon as I took the Cruzer out. :D And my paper's still safely opened in NeoOffice, and the Cruzer's files are fine too. The worst thing that happened was OS X's warning about not ejecting devices. Sweet! I'll take an inconvenience like this over Windows bugs any day...:eek:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. If you can be bothered, it's probably a good idea to eject all your external drives before sleeping the machine. You really can't go wrong if you do this. :)

5. Greg_C thread starter macrumors member