Help finding 20+ year old apple game

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by hildy42, Feb 24, 2007.

1. hildy42 macrumors newbie

I have been to several different places trying to locate or find any type of information on an old Apple game that I remember playing. I was in Elementary school when I played it, so it was at least 20+ some years ago. I can't remember the title but I can remember a lot about the game. Here is what I remember:

It took place inside of a castle. If I remember right you had to type in commands to do things. I remember some of the rooms and what you had to do to get past them. One room had a crystal ball in it and when you tried to pick it up it broke and I believe Merlin appeared and gave you some kind of hint. Another room I remember had a pitch fork or something hanging on the wall and when you tried to grab it, it fell into a pile of dust and left a key hanging on the wall that you had to use in a different room. The last room that I sort of remember had some type of vine that came at you and you had to use the knife or it would send you back to the beginning outside the castle. I don't exactly remember how the game was won but I think once you made it to the top of the castle someone asked you a question that you had to answer to win the game. The answer was always different and was found somewhere else in the castle.

I know that isn't a lot of information but I have been searching for a few years now and haven't found anything. The closes I have come is King's Quest and Dark Castle but neither one of them are right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

3. hildy42 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the one problem. I don't remember. Was there a certian type used in schools in the mid 80's? That is the biggest reason I am having so much difficulty finding the game.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you remember if the display was relatively colorful or if it was in just three or four colors? Most likely Apple II era. As you were describing it, I was also thinking King's Quest. But there were many, many other games of that genre. If you google, there are "abandonware" sites... that are not so okay to discuss here, but they might be able to help you.

5. hildy42 thread starter macrumors newbie

It only had a few colors. Would that be the Apple II era? Most of my searches lead me to King's Quest but that appears to have multiple colors and looks like part of the game is outside the castle. In this game you never leave the castle. I will do some searching but I really do appreciate your help so far.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm... well, one step is to look at the games Sierra Online / Sierra Electronics / whatever they were called from time to time / made. This was the company that produced King's Quest and all the other games by Roberta Williams.

This was the first:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/adventure-in-serenia/screenshots

Which was called The Wizard and the Princess / Adventure in Serenia.

The genre in general was called "text and graphics adventure" -- that might help you in web searching. Many people aside from Williams made games of this sort, so there are rather many of them to hunt through. Most of them were multi-platform and were released for the Apple II and the Commodore 64 lines, at least, and often also for IBM PC or PC Jr's running MS-DOS.

7. blinkenlightz macrumors newbie

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

9. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

10. Elantoh macrumors newbie

Vampire Castle??

I played a fun game on my MacPlus in '88 on sys 6.0.8 called Vampire Castle (love to find it)
    that was a carry stuff, feed yourself, use rope or pole or whatever your brought
    to get through the castle game.
    Never got all the way through or past level 13 in Pyramid of Ra either...oh well.

11. Gucek macrumors newbie

As for the machine type - you could try to locate it here. That would probably be some hint...

12. webmasterujb macrumors newbie

I remember playing that game as well. You typed the commands and had no pictures. I remember climbing up a chimney and actually seeing a Raven in the story like Poe -- I thought it was called the raven or something like that. But I haven't been able to find it either. I was looking for it.

13. webmasterujb macrumors newbie

The Count of Monty Cristo

I am sure that was in the title --

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I personally like the Quest for Glory series, for the time the graphics and game play were awsome.

Check out Classic Adventure Games it has some very nice articles and resources for all the old games.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan