Help Finding A Good Word Processor and Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ShadyMac, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ShadyMac macrumors member

My eleven-year-old daughter needs a good word processor as well as a good printer for her school projects. Instead of selling the Mac mini and getting a PC for the house I rather get her something for the Mac mini. Also what is a good printer? The word processor needs to be compatible with Word for a PC. This way I can read over her papers at work before she hands them in.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Word for Mac from Microsoft would be the obvious choice. See http://www.microsoft.com/mac. There are other options like the free NeoOffice, or even AppleWorks, but I personally like MS Office. As for printers, most any printer should work. I paid $50 for a Canon Pixma IP1600 and have not had any trouble with it.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Dare I suggest Pages? It would do the trick. It's compatibility with Office isn't too bad. Plus it is a good program for doing layouts - an must for all school projects. And when your daughter gets older, she'll have Keynote to blow her classmates PP presentations away.

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm an OpenOffice devotee, but your daughter would probably be best off with Word. I don't know how "online" your daughter's school district is, but if she's submitting any papers via course management systems (Blackboard, WebCT, ANGEL, etc.), she may be instructed by her teachers to use Word only (despite any obvious compatibilities to the contrary).

I just bought an HP 1020 recently -- 2500 pages per cartridge (and only $60 per replacement cartridge), and about 15 pages a minute. The quicker she can print, the quicker she can get to writing the next draft. ;)

What a wonderful, responsible parent you sound like. Will you parent some of my students? 'Cause I guarantee you nobody's reading their papers before they hand them to me.

If they hand them to me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I should have mentioned that the HP 1020 is supposedly not Mac compatible. But it works just fine with the HP 1022 driver, which you can get here.

6. Annon macrumors member

As far as being readable on word at work, if it's not necessary to edit the papers, she could just use OS X's built in print to PDF function with any program.

7. ShadyMac thread starter macrumors member

Considering my daugther is 11 and I'm 30 (Do the math) I had to learn responsiblity rather quickly.:)

I'll go with Word. Thanks Guys

EDIT: Is it possible just to install Word, Excel and PowerPoint?

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I'm sure it is, as there is an installer for it (will be if there is a 'custom install' button), but if not, just delete the parts you don't want adfterwards!

::20ROGERSC::

9. Montecito macrumors newbie

Word vs. Pages dilemma

I recently bought an iBook and Microsoft Office. But I mainly bought MS Office so I could read and send MS Word files which seem to be the standard for attachments to emails. The new release of Pages has me wondering, however, whether I should just use it and return MS Office.

Has anyone had any luck trying this approach, or is it safer to just use MS Word and forget it? (When I tried downloading an MS Word file using AppleWorks 6, it couldn't read it, but my trial version of Pages could read it.)

10. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

I wanted to avoid Microsoft so I bought Mellel. They seem to be having a 25% off sale now so maybe you could take advantage of it -

I used it a lot during my train trip from Chicago to Texas and it seems to be very stable, I have never had it freeze or crash on me. I still continue to use it for my resume, a handbook I was working on, letters etc. and it works fine.

Other posts have mentioned that it has a lot of good footnote and endnote features. I can’t say much about those features but I am happy with it for basic world processing and the price is right! As for its compatibility with Word, I don't have any experience with that, maybe another MacRumors member has some experience converting from Mellel to Word?

Good luck!

11. Montecito macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for your suggestion about Mellel. I read a bit about it and it looks like a pretty decent word processor, especially for authors and academics.