Help!! Firewire fried...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maxiseller, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Thanks for looking and helping out in advance - it is honestly appreciated.

So, it al started yesterday evening when I noticed my external Hard drive wasn't working. I thought there was something wrong with the, I took it and plugged the firewire cable from my Powermac to my iBook to do the Target disk mode to see if it worked....DISASTER!! I see smoke coming from the ibook!

So, today I think "well its a bad cable" and so I go and spend £20 for a new one. Plug it in to my HDD and...nothing. Plug it into my ibook and nothing.

I know the cable works as I tried it on my girlfriends mac mini to her ibook and it was here is my best summary of the situation:

The Powermac had a fault of some sort which obviously fried my external hard drive. That in turn fried my ibooks firewire when I plugged that in.

1) Has anyone got any ideas for a PCI firewire card? I have a dual 1.8 g5 with the 4 ram slots.

2) How can I save my files on my external hard drive. There are some logic pro files that are really, really needed! I have taken the card drive out of the caddy, and it turns out its an older IDE type drive. Obviously, i cant plug this into the powermac...but i plugged it into my pc and it HAS recognized the drive so it's just the firewire board at the back of the caddy that has died on me.

The question is, is there any way I can get the PC to recgonise the drive as a drive letter rather than just under the "hardware" tab under "system" so i can copy some of the files? I'm guessing it won't recognise it as a letter due to the fact it's not formatted for PC use.

Any ideas? I'm pretty desparate, and if the solution is under £150 I'll be happy!!

Many, many thanks, Dan
  2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    If you have the right kind of drive, try a USB or FW800 (I'm assuming you're using 400). It sounds weird, but that's the best advice I have.