help!! firewire HD stoped working

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vasanti, Feb 2, 2004.

1. vasanti macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2004
    hey there

i was happily using an hitachi 40GB 4200 rpm HD in a firewire enclosure, with my powerbook, until today it made a strange noie while working, and since then stopped working.
    i tried restarting everything, but it doesnt help.
    the HD just mke strange noises when i switch it on, and will not be even recognized by the computer.

i am a musician, and i was storing my projects on this drive
    so many hours of precious work gone...

does anyone know what to do????
  2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    What kind of noise?

If it is a repeating clicking noise, then the drive is probably dead, and won't be recoverable by normal means.

If the drive is physically dead, then you might find a place that can dismantle it and get data off the platters. Don't dismantle it yourself though. Internal hard drive parts are very sensitive to dust and can ruin it quickly.
  3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Re: help!! firewire HD stoped working

Back up often :eek: :D

Like Tom said, you may be better off shipping it to a data recovery place. It is expensive, but you shouldn't lose much, if anything datawise.
  4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    Re: Re: help!! firewire HD stoped working

just a heads-up, vasanti: that should read staggeringly expensive.
  5. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    what you do is go into your bathroom, close the door, fill the bathtub with hot water, and let the water keep running too and then open the hard drive after waiting 10 minutes or so. :)

Hrmmm data recovery can get $$$$$$$. DriveSavers is one i can think of off the top of me head.
    Only do it when you think its worth it. First, though, get an estimate.
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i wouldnt get it recoverd unless you are really trying to save some precious data, movies and music dont bother it isnt worth it, but if its work or family movies then maybe