Help for dual monitor setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leftPCbehind209, Jul 19, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I have a 6-core MacPro with ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB.

Currently, I have a Dell 2410 monitor hooked up to the MacPro using a DVI-D cable. I'd like to change it so that I have a dual monitor setup.

The Dell 2410 has 2 of the DVI-D attachments and also has VGA, HDMI, component video & Display Port connectors.

I have another monitor (Dell 1907FPc) that I'd like to hook up that only has 1 DVI-D and 1 D-SUB connector.

What is the best way to hookup both monitors? I do photography work and use a monitor calibration tool so color accuracy is important - throwing that out in case one of the connection methods is not as capable for reproducing colors.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68000

I could be missing the nuance, but don't you have only 1 native option based on the 5870 ports, i.e. connect the 1907 via DVI and the 2410 via MDP-to-DP cable?

3. macrumors regular

easy

Surely you just need a mini-display port adapter to DVI and just plug the second monitor in via this!!
    Hope this helps

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both of you. Yeah was a pretty lame question but just didn't know the best way to accomplish what I wanted.

So the MDP to DVI is the best way to connect? What about MDP to HDMI, etc?

5. macrumors newbie

Just follow jenzjen's instruction. My dual monitor setup includes a Dell U2410 and a 2408WFP. I use the MDP->DP adapter for my U2410 and DVI-D for 2408WFP, or the other way around. They work just fine.

Basically, MDP is a smaller DP, so the conversion from MDP to DP is more smoother than a MDP->HDMI/DVI-D conversion.

Try to use the as many native ports as possible, which could save you a lot of time.

6. macrumors 603

Both DVI and HDMI are digital connections, so it doesn't matter, but DVI is normally what you use with computers.

7. macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Nice, I had wanted to go with this setup with the same two monitors. I have a 2.53ghz Mac Mini and am currently using a Dell U2410 with it and want a dual monitor set-up. Bought both in April 2010.

Before this setup when I was at home with my family I was using a Dell 2408WFP with a 1.83ghz Mac Mini. They rarely use that computer so I Was thinking of getting them a cheaper 20" monitor and bringing over the 2408WFP for the dual setup I wanted here.

But now I'm intrigued with the Dell U2713HM 27" 2560x1440p LED Monitor. There was a deal for it for $559 on Amazon. If it falls to that price again, I was thinking of getting that monitor and doing that monitor along my 24" as a dual monitor setup. I'd then leave the 2408wfp w/ my fam as it is.

Any thoughts on these monitors playing nice together? can they be calibrated to display the same? I don't do any gaming so any lag issues don't concern me.