Help for Gamer's Wife-Surprise for Hubby

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluenova, Nov 9, 2006.

1. bluenova macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    Hello everyone---

I am married to a man that loves to play first person shooter games on his mac. In fact, he just got a new intel iMac so he could play PC games too. He's always talking about us playing together and I would like to surprise him by setting it up so we can. Since I'm a newbie, please be kind. While he was at work, I tried to connect our computers up in multiplayer mode, but hit some problems. I searched the net, and could find no descriptions of how to actually configure everything. I'm hoping someone here will take pity on me and walk me through this. So, here's the specs:

I have a 20" G5 Imac 2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB VRAM running OS 10.4.4

He has 20" Intel Core 2 Duo Imac 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM running OS 10.4.7

We have a LAN between our two puters with Airport; the DSL line is hooked up to his computer, so he is acting as the server. I'd like to play with him on the LAN, rather than online.

We have Star Wars Battlefront (his current passion) and Doom 3, as well as some others, like Call of Duty, Castle Wolfenstein, and Quake.

I guess my biggest question is this: Do we need two CD's (one for each puter) and two different CD's keys in order to make this work over the LAN?

After that, could anyone walk me through the steps to actually set this up? I would imagine the steps are similar from game to game once you get the idea (and probably really simple once you understand it!), but I'm lost.

I'd like to have everything loaded and ready, set to go, one evening when he gets home as a surprise.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

Any suggestions, and hand holding here, would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you,
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I don't know about these particular games. It varies from game to game if you need two CDs and or license keys. Some games need two CDs, but for some games, you only need to have the CD inserted when you start the game and then you can take the CD out, insert it into the other computer and start the game there. I also think some games only require a CD in the computer that hosts the game.

Anyway, I hope someone else can walk you through this for the games you're asking about here.
  3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    Your computers are networked right?
    If you click on the "Network" icon in a Finder window is his computer is listed?

Good luck though.
    Blasting zombie slim all over the place in Doom is sooooo romantic. ;)
  4. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I forgot one thing. If his computer is hooked up to the dsl and the internet connection is shared with the built in OS X internet sharing feature, it may interfere with the LAN game. I have had some problems getting some LAN games running when internet sharing was involved. I don't remember the details.
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Star Wars Battlefront should work fine over the LAN with the same CD key. At least the Windows version does.

Since it checks if the CD's in the drive to start up the game, make sure you copy the CD and put it in each computer.
  6. apb3 macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2006
    PTSD therapy

I'm sure you know, but - technically - this violates the EULA and the DMCA.:eek:
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Using your own CD backup in your own home violates the DMCA? I thought it only does this if you give out the copy?

Worst case, do what I do when I feel lazy; put the disk in one computer, start the game, pull the disk out, and run to the other computer, and start the game. :D
  8. Rasheem macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    If you have toast you could make a disk image for whatever game. Some games it works others its too smart for toast! Good luck
  9. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
    I'm sure the cops have nothing better to do than crack down on a couple who want to play videogames together :rolleyes:
  10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    First: to make sure you can see the other computer, go to one, click on 'Go' then 'Connect to Server' then 'Browse.' Whatever his computer is called, if they can see each other it'll be listed, if not, it won't. Then, make sure the game is installed on both iMacs. Stick the CD in one computer, start the game, eject the CD while setting up a server, then stick it in the other iMac and then search the LAN for games. The one on the previous iMac should show up.
  11. apb3 macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2006
    PTSD therapy
    I'm just being an ass...:D BUT that does seem to be an argument corporations are using.

And, while I don't have one in front of me, I'm pretty sure your EULA for Battlefront says something at least as restrictive as, " have the right to use the material on ONE installation at a time."

As others have have brilliantly noted; a couple doing this at home will likely not incur the wrath of the US gov't and I agree. Notice the :eek: in my post conoting sarcastic fear... Lighten up.
  12. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Without complicating things, yes, two copies of practically any game out there is needed as EULA's specify that one copy is allowed per computer installation.

So, without cluttering this with talk of copying CD's and getting NO-CD cracks, here's the skinny:

-Since Battlefront seems to be his passion of the moment, get a copy of that. I'm sure if he's real into it he'll help you get p and running with it (gameplay) as quick as he can.
    -Depending on what you're using (OS X or Windows) may determine how the network has to be set up, since, after all, Windows is a pain in the ass for networking. You really don't want to be playing a Mac version of the game if he's playing a Windows version. While the two can play quite well together, it can sometimes bring up hassles.
    -Each game has instructions on installation, and it usually takes no more than an hour for one to be completely installed and configured. Usually it involves copying files from the CD to the hard drive of your computer, but the CD, generally, must always be in the computer to play (this is a low-rent version of piracy protection.)
    -If you have any specific questions upon installing a game, I advise you ask those then as we'll be able to help you out if you have specific questions or troubles with the installation/networking.

And finally, you're a very, very nice wife to do something like this. He'll love what you're doing. :)
  13. bluenova thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006

Hello everyone---

THANK YOU ALL for the suggestions and particularly for the copyright infringement warnings. Wouldn't want to step on any toes, or do anything illegal! I've been muddling along, and have made some progress, although I'm still encountering some issues. I think most of them are "server" and "airport" details, although it's hard to tell, because I can't seem to replicate the problems or fixes from one time to the next.

Here's what I've discovered for sure: We both have NetBarrier (firewall) on our Macs. This must be DISABLED on both machines before beginning. I've tried setting up "trusted hosts" so we wouldn't have to keep turning the darn thing on and off, but I don't seem to know enough about the program to make that work, so it is easier just to turn it off on both puters. I've disconnected the DSL line too, just to make sure we don't need to worry about having our firewall turned off.

Now, hypothetically speaking, lets say I did the following, totally SUCCESSFUL the first time and then with mixed results each time after:

In airport (on his machine) create a new computer to computer network called "gaming"
    In airport (on my machine) connect to the network "gaming"

On his Imac, launch Star Wars Battlefront (CD in his machine)
    Main Menu: Click Multiplayer
    "Pick Connection Type: Click LAN
    LAN: Click Create
    Then setup from available maps and set server options (varies) Click Launch

After this loads, press eject key, and insert CD on my machine

On my Imac, in Finder > Go > Connect to Server
    "Connect to Server Window" opens, I click "browse"
    Network pane opens, click "My Network" making his Imac visible in the next pane
    Click the name of his puter and "connect" button appears in the next pane
    Click "connect"
    Pop up window appears "Connect to server"
    Select Connect as Guest
    radio button, then hit Connect
    An icon for his Imac appears on my desktop

I then launch Star Wars Battlefront on my machine
    Main Menu: Click Multiplayer
    Pick Connection Type: Click LAN
    LAN: Click Join
    "Pick a session to join" window opens

Following this procedure, lets say hypothetically, I've had the "session window" show a game from his machine to join only twice; the first time as I said, and then only once again, after trying for almost two hours. I know it can work, because it has twice now, but it seems to be hit or miss. That's why I'm thinking it must be a networking and/or airport issue, because the game seems to deliver when the other stuff is right. I am new to this network idea and how to configure it all. His old emac did not have an airport card, so we've never been "hooked up" before. One of the reasons he wanted the new imac was so we'd have airport, and we'd be one step closer to his goal of getting me to "game" with him. So, a little success so far, but I don't want to blow the surprise when I can't seem to get things to work right all the time.

Any ideas, hypothetically, about what I might be doing wrong?
    Again, thanks for all the've been most kind!

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Looks like you're doing quite well so far. The detailed problem description will make it a lot easier to make suggestions.

I can't tell why it doesn't always work but I can tell you that these steps:
    aren't really necessary for making the LAN game work. That's for filesharing. It is still useful in a way, though, because it tells you that the network you set up here:
    is working, for the most part.

I'm curious what your network settings are. System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> TCP-IP. If you're able to confirm that both his computer and your computer have IP-addresses that are in the same range, and that they have the same subnet mask, we could rule out that as a problem source.

Attached Files:

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    He's right. My mentioning of that was just to make sure you could see his computer. Completely unnecessary. :D
  16. bluenova thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006

Gekko---Your musing about the TCP/IP settings was very helpful. (As I mentioned, I am new to the networking deal and the concepts involved.) I took a look at the various settings in the network preferences pane as I changed configurations. Here's what I discovered:

1. Setup: the DSL modem plugged into my computer (using built in ethernet)
    a. airport card sharing internet connection to hubby's puter
    b. "internet sharing" turned on in "sharing" preferences on my puter

Result: the PPPoE protocols used by our ISP seems to change the TCP/IP settings in airport on both computers. In the airport pane (Network Preferences), with "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP" my puter is assigned an IP address of 169.254.xx.xx, subnet mask In the same pane on his puter, his IP address is with subnet mask of assume airport does this to "split" the connection, combining our two puters to register as one connection to the DSL line (ala routing).

2. When I disconnect (turn off) the built in ethernet (in the internet connect window) from the DSL, the settings remain the same as above on both computers.

3. If I go into Network Preferences > Sharing > Internet> and hit "Stop" (Turn off internet sharing) and then hit "disconnect" (turn off) the built in ethernet (in the internet connect window) from the DSL, then click the airport tab (in the internet connect window) the "Network" drop down menu is grayed out with "no network selected". I then have on my puter, In the airport pane (Network Preferences), with "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP" no IP address and no subnet mask. The same occurs on his puter.

2. When I hit the "arrow" on the "Network" drop down menu (internet connect window) and select "Create Network" a pop up box appears with my puter in the "Name" field. I hit "ok".

Result: In the airport pane (Network Preferences), with "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP" my puter is assigned an IP address of 169.254.xx.xx, subnet mask In the same pane on his puter, his IP address is now 169.254.xx.xx with subnet mask of

You are right Gekko. If the IP addresses don't match on both computers, we can't get the multiplayer functions to work over the LAN. When they match, it all works just fine!

Thanks for the clue.
  17. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    With Doom3 and quake 4, you can easily copy the disk (just drag the folder out of the original disk, to a burn folder), or you could just put the disk into one computer, wait for the game to start, and then put it into the other computer, which also works well;)
  18. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I'm glad you figured it out. I'm quite impressed how much you were able to figure out on your own considering you're new to the network deal and the concepts involved.
  19. bluenova thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    my next experiment to try it all with a RJ45 cable (which I just went out and bought) and the built in ethernet ports on both machines, rather than wirelessly with the airport. I'm wondering if the communication between computers might be faster? Also, if it cuts down on the flinking around to reset everything each time...?

I'm amazed sometimes myself what I've been able to figure out when it comes to computers. It took me a month to learn to use a mouse!