help for linux on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kwajo.com, Sep 15, 2002.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I hope someone can help me with this- I recently got a FP iMac for my dorm room (800 w/superdrive) and it is fantastic, but I need linux for some programs. I tried Virtual PC, but it was just too slow (i have 512 ram) I have downloaded and installed linux on PCs before and figured it would be about the same only with a PPC dist. So I got Mandrake and then partitioned my drive (good thing I have dvd-r to back-up stuff) and reinstalled MacOS. Here is where the problem started: the burned linux disks would not boot when I held down 'C', so I tried OpenFirmware- no go. So I thought I would try another distro. So I burned Yellow Dog and it too would not boot. I burned the images on both Disc Copy and Toast- nothing. Could someone please give suggestions, maybe someone who has a new iMac. PLEASE!?! anyway- I love Macs

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Use your back-up discs to put your system back to it's old settings, or you could always use your system restore discs. Once that's done, go to your college's linux computer lab and do your Linux stuff there.

I also needed Linux for my classes, but I could never get it to install on a Mac except by using Virtual PC. Since I hate VPC, I decided it was much easier to walk over to the lab and use the Linux computers there. If your school doesn't have a Linux lab, buy an old PC and put it on there.

3. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

good advice, but I really thought I should be able to run linux on my mac, anybody else?

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

What a fantastic idea. Remind me to ask you for help next time I have a computer problem. :D

kwajo.com: I hate to sound like one of those pretentious Linux snobs who's always saying "RTFM," but there must be some kind of installation guide for whatever distro you want to install - did you follow it closely? This sounds like a pretty serious/obvious problem, and if you're having it, probably a lot of other people are too, and it would be addressed in the install guide or in a FAQ or something.

Alex

5. jaykk macrumors 6502a

i had the same problem with YDL

I tried all methods to make the dowloaded YDL to work, but i could not. Finally i shell out few bucks and bought the CD from YDL direct, it boots properly, installation went smoothly. I dont know what is going on. I wasted a lot of time and effort tying to make the downloaded version to work. So if you dont want to spend a lot of time/effort, by the orignal CD , it works like charm.

jay

6. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well I followed the distribution instructions to a 'T' so jaykk's problem sounds right. This is too bad, because I am a student with no (emphasize NO) money and I loved the idea of a free OS. I guess you get what you pay for.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If you have $5 + shipping, you could go to a place like CheapBytes and order a PPC Linux distro on CD that has been mastered to actually properly boot. I ordered a Slackware CD from them before (for x86) and that booted fine from CD-ROM (although PCs and Macs boot from CD-ROMs differently). I think the problem you're having is probably related to how you're mastering the disc (which could very well be not your fault). Macs don't use the El Torito boot standard but they do still need special images that have been burned onto the disc in a special way.

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I bought a Mac to run Mac OS. Personally, I think Virtual PC is stupid. If you wanted to run windows or linux, buy a PC. My programming class required me to use Linux, and I hated every minute of use. Luckily, I come from a family where money pretty much grows on trees, so I was able to purchase a laptop which I wiped clean and installed Linux on. It was a windows PC, now it's a Linux PC.

As for your "Remind me to ask you for help comment," I just wanted to give the kid some advice, and he can either take it or leave it. Comments like yours only make you sound like some nerd who thinks he knows everything about computers. Besides, maybe on his way to the lab, he'll meet a hot girl.

9. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well RBmaraman, i'm not sure if I agree with your spend money policy, but I can't argue with your meet hot girl policy. good show

and yes I agree I bought a Mac mainly to run MacOS, but unfortunately the world doesn't make it easy. FIGHT THE POWER! (or at the very least for your right to party)