Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I have (FINALLY!) found this to be a very common problem. ALL PowerPC machines, when running Minecraft 1.4.2 or 1.4.4, play a scratchy, loud crackling sound when playing Minecraft. I am going to show you how you can fix this. (Me and my friend found this out while messing about with the minecraft.jar file btw.) I hope to make this as easy as possible. The instructions are fairly simple and short, they look long below because I have put in EVERY little detail. :)

****I WILL PROVIDE UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE MINECART SOUNDS WORK BECAUSE MOJANG HAVEN'T FIXED THE ISSUE YET, SO KEEP CHECKING THIS THREAD, I WILL UPDATE IT BY JANUARY. I am testing it to make sure 100% EVERY sound works!****
However the following is the current instructions!

Step 1. Download the old Minecraft 1.3.2 jar file if you don't have a backup of it here: http://bit.ly/PVWHRK

Step 2. Rename the old 1.3.2 jar from its current 'minecraft.jar' name to distinguish it from the 1.4.2 minecraft.jar.

Step 3. Right-click the old 1.3.2 jar file and click open with, then Archive Utility. (If you don't see 'Archive Utility', click 'Other' and navigate to: Your Hard Drive (usually Macintosh HD), System, Library, CoreServices, and then Archive Utility.app)

Step 4. There should now be a folder called 'minecraft'. Double-click it, and look for a folder called paulscode. (It may be hard to find since there are so many files inside the folder. Just keep looking until you find it.) This is a VERY important folder. Drag this folder to your desktop.

Step 5. Once you have dragged paulscode to your desktop, (click on the finder icon in the dock if you don't have finder open), and at the top apple bar (with the apple logo, time, etc.) click on 'Go' and then click on 'Go to Folder...' then copy and paste this into the text box: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/
Click Go.

Step 6. You should see something called 'minecraft.jar', this is your current 1.4.2 Minecraft file. Right-click and click 'Open With', then Archive Utility. (Again, if you don't see 'Archive Utility', click 'Other' and navigate to: Your Hard Drive (usually Macintosh HD), System, Library, CoreServices, and then Archive Utility.app)

Step 7. Delete the 'minecraft.jar' file. NOT the 'minecraft' folder.

Step 8. You should see a folder called minecraft. Normal (left) click it ONCE and it should be highlighted blue. Then press the Enter key. You should now be able to rename the folder. THE FOLLOWING IS VERY IMPORTANT. Name it 'minecraft.jar', with a lowercase 'm'.

Step 9. Double-click the 'minecraft.jar' folder. Inside there should be another paulscode folder. This is the problem. Delete it. And then drag the previous 1.3.2 paulscode folder, which should be on your desktop.

Step 10. Close all your windows and open up Minecraft, and ALL the new sounds (INCLUDING the bats and all the other new Minecraft 1.4.2 sounds) should work! Enjoy!

I hope to help you again in the future, and I am working to not be a MacRumors newbie anymore!

Thanks!

EDIT: ALSO WORKS ON 1.4.4

*A (brief) FIX FOR THE FOLLOWING IS BELOW! Some people may notice that when riding a Minecart with the sound turned up, Minecraft will crash. The easiest thing to do is to turn the volume all the way down to 0%. (not your Mac volume, the Minecraft volume. Press the esc key while playing, go to options and turn 'Sound' and 'Music' down to 0%)*

BRIEF MINECART FIX:
This is going to be brief, because I am busy right now.
Instead of moving the whole Paulscode 1.3.2 folder to the 1.4 minecraft.jar, go inside the 1.3.2 Paulscode, and inside a folder called codecs (right now I don't have my PPC mac with me, so this is by memory) there should be a file called CodecJOrbis or something. Instead of replacing the whole 1.4 Paulscode, go inside both paulscodes and replace the CodecJOrbis only.

I think that CodecJOrbis is at minecraft.jar\codecs\CodecJOrbis but it could be at minecraft.jar\sound\codecs\CodecJOrbis.

This is by memory so it is not very detailed, but it should work.

Last edited:

chavling

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
It works

Thanks. I tried it on my mac OSX 10.4.11 PPC and it works. I can hear all the new sounds without any annoying static or other weird sounds.:)

zx8301

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Yes, thanks!

Many thanks for this which works on my dual G5 (ex-gamers industry Xbox360 dev kit, and pokier than the production-engineered follow-up). I expect it will as effective on my iBook G4 and previous 'main' mac now upstairs, the dual G4. Those have 10.4, this one has OSX 10.5.8

So who's this paul? ;-)

P.S. I've seen lots of questions about this but no answers till yours, which makes perfect sense. I'll spread it.

How do we let the Mojang people know about this SNAFU? I'd mistakenly and unsuccessfully tried to fix the apparent endian-reversal at the OpenAL level - the game libs switched to OpenAL Soft recently, and I'm something of an expert (GDC lecturer) in OpenAL - but that was a red herring. I'd love to hear it in Rapture3D, though...

Very glad to have my Macs playing Minecraft in sound as well as vision. :)

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, I found it very annoying, it seems like the older 'paulscode' codec works with PPC while the newer one is not compatible 100%

----------

P.S. I've seen lots of questions about this but no answers till yours, which makes perfect sense. I'll spread it.

ry64

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for the fix, man!
Can you post the instructions for fixing the minecart crashing issue, please? I'm okay with difficult as long as it fixes the problem.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Thanks for the fix, man!
Can you post the instructions for fixing the minecart crashing issue, please? I'm okay with difficult as long as it fixes the problem.

Apparently the mine cart crashing has something to do with "ticking entity"

----------

Has anyone had any luck zipping the minecraft jar folder and renaming the folder from .zp to .jar?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
[/COLOR]Has anyone had any luck zipping the minecraft jar folder and renaming the folder from .zp to .jar?

Nope, you have to keep it as a folder. You can't zip it and rename the .zip to .jar.

----------

Minecraft haven't provided a fix yet, so I am pleased to say that I will post a fix for the Minecart noises soon!

----------

Thanks for the fix, man!

I will very soon, by the end of the year, I am just testing the fix!

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
It's working fine, although in case you didn't know, we've been relegated to using the generic Java applet as the OSX launcher is Intel-only now (I really don't understand this, doesn't make much sense).

I think I will knock up a quick launcher for PPC macs.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
all great inventions start with just two friends messing around

You are 100% correct there

----------

BRIEF MINECART FIX:
Instead of moving the whole Paulscode 1.3.2 folder to the 1.4 minecraft.jar, go inside the 1.3.2 Paulscode, and inside a folder called codecs (right now I don't have my PPC mac with me, so this is by memory) there should be a file called CodecJOrbis or something. Instead of replacing the whole 1.4 Paulscode, go inside both paulscodes and replace the CodecJOrbis only.

I think that CodecJOrbis is at minecraft.jar\codecs\CodecJOrbis but it could be at minecraft.jar\sound\codecs\CodecJOrbis.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Is the fix for the mine-cart crash out yet?

It is now

----------

Does the latest version of MC still run on PPC? I have it on my PC so I don't know.

You can't download the minecraft launcher from the minecraft website, it doesn't work. But you can download an older version of the launcher. Watch:
http://youtu.be/5Vm7uk83Ziw

Let the minecraft launcher download the current minecraft files normally. I believe the current minecraft version is 1.4.6? Anyway, once that is done you should be able to play, but with messed up sound.

The answer to your question is YES. (But you need to put a bit of work into it. Just follow the instructions. There is also a minecart fix that enables minecraft to play 100% like it should.

----------

It's working fine, although in case you didn't know, we've been relegated to using the generic Java applet as the OSX launcher is Intel-only now (I really don't understand this, doesn't make much sense).

There is a launcher for PPC macs already! It is .app.
It works fine! I use it.
http://youtu.be/5Vm7uk83Ziw

Botcrusher

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013

What? The launcher from minecraft.net still works it just displays a line of code aswell as the changelog

Lol us G4's are stuck in java 5 land XD
Its suprising minecraft still runs without crashing left and right

zx8301

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
You are 100% correct there

----------

BRIEF MINECART FIX:

Thanks, that was enough for me to work out that the ONLY file that needs to be updated to fix the corrupt sound bug is codecJOrbis.class, which is 8029 bytes (with creation dated 14th August 2012, on the one that works for me) whereas the 8100 byte version Mojang have clobbered it with is useless on PPCs (that one was created 28th Dec 2012 on this 1.4.7 update).

The path concerned is ~/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar/paulscode/sound/codecs

To summarise the simplified fix, tested here on 1.4.5 and 1.4.7,

(0) Quit Minecraft - it sounded nasty :-(
(1) Unpack the old 1.3.2 and new 1.4.x minecraft.jar as explained above.
(2) Copy codecJOrbis.class from paulscode/sound/codecs in the 1.3.2 set to the corresponding place in your new version
(3) Restart Minecraft - it sounds nice :)

It's annoying that the updates of Minecraft 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 STILL contain the broken file. I wonder if there is any way to report this to Mojang that will get a response? Or are we better off contacting the mysterious 'paul', or the author of codecJOrbis.class

While replacing the file fixes the problem, it has to be done every time any other part of minecraft gets updated, and prevents prompted updates working (they'd clobber the fix, too) since they can't cope with minecraft.jar being a directory.

Meanwhile, thanks again keremtezcan for diagnosing the original problem and the updated fix.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks, that was enough for me to work out that the ONLY file that needs to be updated to fix the corrupt sound bug is codecJOrbis.class, which is 8029 bytes (with creation dated 14th August 2012, on the one that works for me) whereas the 8100 byte version Mojang have clobbered it with is useless on PPCs (that one was created 28th Dec 2012 on this 1.4.7 update).

The path concerned is ~/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar/paulscode/sound/codecs

To summarise the simplified fix, tested here on 1.4.5 and 1.4.7,

(0) Quit Minecraft - it sounded nasty :-(
(1) Unpack the old 1.3.2 and new 1.4.x minecraft.jar as explained above.
(2) Copy codecJOrbis.class from paulscode/sound/codecs in the 1.3.2 set to the corresponding place in your new version
(3) Restart Minecraft - it sounds nice :)

It's annoying that the updates of Minecraft 1.4.6 and 1.4.7 STILL contain the broken file. I wonder if there is any way to report this to Mojang that will get a response? Or are we better off contacting the mysterious 'paul', or the author of codecJOrbis.class

While replacing the file fixes the problem, it has to be done every time any other part of minecraft gets updated, and prevents prompted updates working (they'd clobber the fix, too) since they can't cope with minecraft.jar being a directory.

Meanwhile, thanks again keremtezcan for diagnosing the original problem and the updated fix.

Thanks, you have saved me from trying to explain the fix in depth... It took me a LONG time to find the fix! :)

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I believe the fix you have is not working properly with 1.4.7. Have you found anything?

It is. But when you update Minecraft you need to redo the process above. Because when you update Minecraft downloads a completely new minecraft.jar with the non PPC compatible files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.