Help! Forgot admin user name and password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 26, 2006.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I just recently re installed the OS for my ibook and i forgot the user name and password i used. What can i do? :confused:

2. vniow macrumors G4

Boot from the install disk and use the password reset utility. Make a note of it when you set the new one this time somewhere.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How do i do this?:confused:

4. vniow macrumors G4

Boot from the OS X disk as if you were going to do a reinstall. When it gets past the language selection screen there should be a menu called Utilities or something on top (forget what its called). There you should find a bunch of nifty little thingers, Disk Utility, Terminal and the Password reset one. Use that to reset your password and there you go.

5. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

It wont let me do anything after i insert the install disk. It wants a user name and password do to anything. :confused:

6. vniow macrumors G4

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Restart with the disk in the drive and hold down the C key while it restarts. This will force it to start up from the CD.

8. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I cant restart the computer. Im at the login screen, and the only option open is "sleep". When i click the user it wants a password. Even with the disk in the drive. Ahh im about to throw thing ibook out the window.:confused:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Turn it off by holding down the power button. Then restart it, simultaneously feeding in the disc, and holding down the Alt key. This should, after a few moments, give you a choice of Startup Disks. Select the OSX DVD.

Do NOT throw it out of the window yet.

10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ok i think i got it. I turned it off with the disk inside, then when i turned it back on i held down c and it brought me to the install menu. Its not installing. Thanks everyone, saved my day! :D