Help - ftp / I.E. & Netscape

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Stormyguy, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Stormyguy macrumors regular

I am trying to upload files to my website - hosted on my ISP's servers.

I believe I should be able to do this in IE or Netscape by simply typing in "ftp://" and my domain info, then entering username/password. However I cannot get access to my info on the server - keep getting a 'communication failed' message.

It seems that it may be something to do with 'passive' mode being set for ftp but I can find nowhere to alter these settings.

How do you guys make your uploads from within your browser?

Or if you don't - which piece of free/shareware are you using???

I had a prog. called wsftp on my old PC but they don't have a Mac version it appears.

Thanks in advance
    Danny

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Have you had a look around www.versiontracker.com ? That'll be the place to look for a good FTP app, which is what you really need.

3. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Hi verbose

Thanks for that -

yeah, had a look around at versiontracker - not sure which to use though - any recommendations????

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Try Fetch, the latest version. There is one that runs under OS X. IF you decide to purchase it, it's not all that much money, and they offer some good support.

I will be downloading and installing that once I get my own web pages completed. I also have space via my ISP (six 6GB pages/sites via Earthlink).

6. Stormyguy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Alpha - I'll look into that one.

FYI, I'm using OS X for most things now but still on OS9 for web and design stuff (due to awful font 'clashes' between Office X and my Postscript fonts) so an ftp prog for either would be OK as I can easily switch for up/downloading through ftp.

Danny

7. rootuser macrumors newbie

I would use rBrowser lite, available at Apple's website for free. It's pretty fast and it is efficient, fast, and easy.