HELP! g4 wont recognized ram i spent $150 for :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonywalker23, Jul 2, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i bought 3 512 sticks of ram from a guy in the marketplace forum to put in a dual 450 g4 gigabit ethernet powermac. the mac will boot with the stock 128 in but when i put in the 512 sticks the mac makes a funny noise when i turn it on and it just sits there, the screen doesnt turn on or nothing.
    please help me.
    tony

2. punkbass25 macrumors member

first off, powermacs run on banks of 2 so you will either only be bale to use 2 of the 3 or you will need to buy another stick.

make sure you have the sticks in the matched buses, otherwise it will not work.

does your powermac make a beeping noise when it doesnt start? i believe 3 beeps means ram problems

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

No. He said G4, not G5. Installation in pairs is not necessary.

What are the specs of the RAM you are trying to install into the powermac?

4. punkbass25 macrumors member

really? hmm my bad, never had a G4 but some previous model powermacs we had im pretty sure had banks of 2.

o well, could jsut be bad ram, was it specificly stated as mac compatible?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Count the number of chips on the modules. The chip count neeeds to be 16. If it is a 512 Mb module with 8 chips, it will not work in a Mac G4.

But it is really hard to give any specific advice without knowing more details, like the brand and model number of the RAM, what machine it came from, etc.

Your machine is a graphite Dual 450 with an AGP video card, correct? Not a B&W G3 or PCI-graphics G4 upgraded with a CPU update? The B&W G3 and the PCI-graphics ('Yikes') G4's will never take a 512 Mb module.

6. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

I've found that my G4 Dual 450 ran best on PC133 RAM. PC100 would work *some* of the time, but PC133 always worked.

7. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

ram

so far ive figured this out:
    the 3 512 sticks will not work at all in the graphite g4 (with agp slot).
    i put the 3 512 sticks in a blue and white g3. the g3 booted up and when it opend about this mac it says the 3 sticks total 768 (256 a piece)
    i am aware that a b/w will only take 256 sticks of ram. if the sticks really are 512 would the g3 bump it down to 256 or not boot up at all.
    the guy sold them to me telling me they were 512 sticks from a b/w g3. i didnt realize the g3 only uses 256 size slots until after i bought them when i begin doing research about it.
    they each have 8 black chips on each side of the stick, 8 on front and 8 on back totaling 16.

PLEASE HELP ME :( ' ' ' ' ' ' <-(tears)

8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Do you know what speed the RAM sticks are? You could always post pictures of the RAM if you aren't sure. I'm sure we could decipher them. ;)

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK for starters they are never 512 Mb sticks from a Blue & White. No such animal.

My guess is that they are 256 Mb sticks of PC66, which will not work in a graphite machine. But unless you can provide some make and model numbers off the modules themselves, that's only a wild-@$$ guess.