Help G5 1.8 vs 2.0 and LCD Monitor query

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agdickinson, Oct 11, 2003.

1. agdickinson macrumors member

Hi

I'm interested in buying a G5 and am humming and harring over the 1.8 vs. the 2.0. More of will I kick myself if I get the 1.8 when I see it is not as powerfull as I want.

I do quite a bit of web development and with that image manipulation. Also purchasing a Sony F828 8Mp camera for some of my work. I'm also involved in amatuer production of video's / DVD's (eventually fingers-crossed) so I will be taxing the machine a bit. I also plan on helping a friend convert some videos she has produced from VHS to DVD...

I'm in the process of learning WebObjects development (mySQL + Oracle backend),

I plan to install Panther Server which looks really cool :D (Extra memory here I come as well :O) )

I'm looking at LCD monitors of the lovely 17 inch LCD Apple monitor vs other makes such as Formac. I know I can get a DABS 19inch LCD for £360, but the apple one looks nicer. Or perhaps stick with CRT and go to a 21", and save up for a 20" HELP.. :confused:

I've got a Budget of £2600. Though I've got ADC membership :D which means I can get 20% off the Computer and LCD (If I go for the Apple 17inch one).

A lot a questions I know, but I also know that there is lots of experienced Mac users here. At the moment the Dual 2 is appealing albeit expensive. But as my Grandfather used to say 'You get nowt for nowt' (Translation: 'You get nothing for nothing' - buy a skoda and don't expect sports-car performance)..

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

PowerBook G4 TI 15inch 667Mhz
    768Mb Ram
    30 Gb
    10Gb 1g iPOD

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I would go with the DP 2Ghz G5. A lot of the video stuff you might be using is optimized for it and their has been a lot of reports of a dual G4 actually being faster than the 1.8 G5. That won't always be the case, once all the software is optimized for 64bit, but it is now. Besides , once the G5 is up to dual 3ghz by the end of next year, you might be sorry you don't have the dual 2ghz. I would go with the Apple Display so you can get Apple care, but that is just me. CRTs are much cheaper and we are due for new LCDs from Apple.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Why are you going to install Panther Server? For a desktop environment I don't know how that will serve you better...?

But def. get the Dual 2

4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I'm faced with a very similar situation, except I'll be doing mostly video editing, not web design. After considering all the options, I think I'm going for the Dual 2GHz with a 22" CRT from Mitsubishi. As sexy as LCD's are, the fact is that you can get a CRT with twice the resolution for half the price of a comparable LCD (Apple's 20" Cinema Display is $1299 and only 1600x1080, the CRT is $650 and goes to 2048x1536). Plus the fact that LCDs are dropping in price at an incredible rate, by this time next year, they'll be very close in price to CRTs, I imagine. AND it's rumored that Apple will be updating their displays soon.

For me it's a no-brainer. It's much easier to upgrade a monitor than a CPU, so I would definitely go for the dual 2GHz and a CRT.
    The only reason to go for LCDs is if you have very limited space on your desk.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It sounds to be like you would really benefit from the dual 2GHz G5, I think you would kick your self if you did go the way of the 1.8GHz. Also, with regards to the screen, don't be sucked in by the look of the Apple displays, sure they look nice, but they are not the best out there and are over priced for what they are (but maybe not for u due to your 20% ADC discount).

6. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Panther Server

Hi

I'm after getting Panther server as I'm an IT Manager (sort of) and am looking at persuading my company to move from NT server to OS X. So I'd like to get a head's up so to speak on Panther Server see what it can do....

Also :) It might help in changing jobs as I think it would be a useful skill to have

:)

Andrew

7. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Going for a Dual G5 2Ghz

Hi

Thanks for the replies :)

So do you guy's have the Dual G5, I've seen the single 1.6 and 1.8 in John Lewis (UK department store) today and they look really nice.

I also too the panel off to have a look inside and they mother board is really clean and tidy. That's what I call a lovely design... :)

The head of Industrial design did his degree at my old University (Newcastle Poly -- Northumbria University now) :)

So I guess I should complement him by buying the G5

I guess one advantage of going down the LCD route in the weight of the display which I guess will be 20% of the weight of a 20 inch Monitor?

Thanks

Andrew

8. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Bought a G5 Dual 2Ghz

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I've just placed an order for a G5 Dual 2G
    :O)

I've even managed to get it on 10 months 0% credit through Apple :D

Again thanks for the help guys

:)

Andrew

9. dinopaul macrumors newbie

10. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

ADC Discount

Hi,

The ADC discount is 20% off the price of any Apple Mac.

I have the Select ADC membership which is around $500 (Though you only get the discount on each anniversary of your membership renewal).

Though the saving I made on the Dual 2Ghz is about $750 which is quite a nice saving.

I use ADC as a developing resource, which is very useful.

Andrew

11. dinopaul macrumors newbie

Thanks for this.
    How does one go about getting this discount? I am uk based and am responsible for the it needs of our publishing company and am looking to upgrade three/four macs plus displays and OS in the next year or so. It could be very useful to us.
    Looking forward to a weekend of photoshopping!
    Paul

12. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

ADC Membership

Hi Paul,

You can get :

Select Membership at $500

This give you a discount only on your renewal

and

Premier Membership at $3500

This gives you up to 20% discount on up to 10 machines a year which could give you money of up to £5000 off new hardware. So it could be useful to you, also you get a free pass for Apple Developers Conference in San Francisco, which would give you an idea of what is happening in the future with Apple.

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions e-mail me on : agdickinson@mac.com

Andrew

13. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm hesitant to reply on this one as I'm just an average "joe" using my computer for internet, email, word, and photo stuff. I'm not a programmer, graphic artist etc. so I may not have the similar requirements. I have just "switched" back to Apple after being a PC user for years. I purchased a G5 1.6 along with a Dell 1901FP. I'm on a rather steep learning curve with Jaguar right now and will be even steeper when my upgrade to Panther comes at the end of the month BUT I'm realllllllllllllly happy! I mean reallllllllllllllllllllly with the switch so far. I can't help you much with your decision on a 1.8 or 2.0 G5 but with the monitor I highly recommend the Dell 1901FP. It has DVI connection (cable included), height adjustable, pivot mode is possible (although some discussion that you can't download software from Dell unless you have a "code" from buying an entire system....commercial software is available for about $50 US), 4 2.0 USB ports and a very attractive design (thin bezel,nice lookng). Mine arrived with "zero" dead pixels and this thing is absolutely gorgeous! Great colors, or should I say "colours" ;), brightness and contrast is super too. One of the best things was the price. I purchased it from the Dell small business website. The price was about $550 including tax and free shipping. It's worth a look. Hope this doesn't muddy the issue but actually helps. Cheers

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Does Apple give you that 0% financing just because youre an ADC member or is it available to everyone?

15. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

To CrazzyEdie

Hi,

I believe that you get 0% finance whoever you are. When I spoke to the person at Apple she said you get it whatever (obviously dependant upon your credit history).. Good deal though

Hope this helps.

Andrew