HELP! G5 goes mad!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by all-in-my-head, Dec 7, 2003.

1. all-in-my-head macrumors member

Oct 25, 2003
    I dont know if this is the right section to post in but here goes.

Been a new Mac user for 2/3 weeks now and have a lovely Dual 2Ghz G5 + 20" Screen :D

However, working away as usual today and leave the room for 10 mins with a few windows open, nothing heavy. Come back and come back the first thing i notice (from outside the room) was the noise. It must have been all 9 fans on full speed as it was drowning out my iPod. The screen was blank and nothing worked.

Tried mouse, keyboard, screen touch button, mac power button, but the whole thing was hung!! Had to pull the plug and turn on again.

Can anyone suggest whats wrong, or if this is known issues with G5 or have the sensors on the fans gone wrong or what??

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Take it to an authorized Apple repair shop, it could be hardware. However the settings in software could also be a problem, it could be switching to full power mode, and that might cause all the fans to be on. However this should not cause the machine to hang, have an expert look at it.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    This could have been a one time thing... all computers get hung up on themselves sometimes. The fans at full speed happen when the Firmware takes over for the OS when it freezes, and is normal.
  4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Hide behind a chair and pop your head up every now and then to stare at it.
  5. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    It has mad cow diease.

6. madru macrumors member

Jun 11, 2003
    Hmmm ... I've got the same problem. I got my dual G5 in october. So far, I've experienced this phenomenon at least 10 times, although it hasn't reapeated more than once or twice since 10.3 was installed. Similarly, it only happenes when I leave the machine for 10 or more minutes. I sincerely hope this problem is software related. It isn't fun coming back home to see my comp. scaring my animals away.