Help get Apple to remove metal in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by idkew, Oct 27, 2003.

1. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Hey all, please give Apple some feedback, here, letting them know that the Metal themed Finder is extremely ugly and needs to be removed. Let them know we love the new design, we just hate the Metel Them applied.

OS X Feedback

[edited for clarity]

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Er...but it's not ugly...IMO :confused:

3. macrumors newbie

Metal theme

I like the metal theme. How about a petition to open up support for multiple themes?

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: Metal theme

Well ask Apple for that. Not a problem.

edesign- you are a designer, correct? and you like the metal? well, i guess each to their own...

5. macrumors member

i like it actually. Metal mail would be nice too.

6. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

after using the metal finder for a weekend, it's grown on me. aqua would be nice, but i don't think it should be a major interface priority. what needs updating are the widgets and scroll bars...

7. macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

The itunes interface is not just ugly it's FUGLY!

8. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Don't like the metal? Just click the toolbar button (the little white one on the top right) and the metal Finder windows will become the traditional Aqua. So what if you lose the toolbar, if you don't like the metal, you're probably one of the same weird people that didn't ever use the toolbar to start with.

JW

9. macrumors 6502

You're right I am weird. However, you are wrong when you say I never used the toolbar. What is wrong with function and streamlined simplicity? I need to bounce around from directory to directory. Toolbar made this ease. I like the text only toolbar. It's not that I hate the metal, it's just that I hate the side bar and the borders. I also hate haveing to shove that sidebar to the left for all my folders. So what if I only have tyo do it one time. I have a lot of folders. Another thing, If I make a new folder I have to do the sidebar shuffle too. I make a lot of "untitled folder(s)" in the course of the day. BTW, I did feedback my gripe to Apple. I may have to revert back to 10.2.8

10. macrumors 6502

What a pointless topic that was!

By all means go back to 10.2.8, I don't see how it will affect any of us. But do it quietly, no need to whine.

Marc

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i think you don't get me. i don't dislike the interface, i hate the grey, metal look of it.

before you go and try to flame me for something, why don't you check and see that you know what you are talking about.

no need to act like you know everything.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

how does color chioce have any effect on toolbar use? i am not sure i see the connection, o great one.

13. macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Just wait until Unsanity releases the Metallifizer, then you can de-metalize any app.

14. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I want to be able to customize the appearance of all aspects of the interface. I don't like the metal look but that isn't the real problem. The problem is not having a choice in the matter. If you like the default appearance, great! For those of us that don't, it's an eyesore that isn't easily fixed. Aren't creativity and individuality supposed to be part of the MacOS experience? There are hacks for some parts of the OS and some apps, but this really needs to be a function within the OS itself. I want to be able to change between multiple skins to suit my taste, and even design a few skins of my own. :mad:

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

yes, i can not wait, but i believe apple should have this built in.

but, thank you unsanity.

16. macrumors 6502a

aethier

I like brushed metal, as soon as i firts used it, (7b68) when i would go on a computer running 10.2 i found that aqua Finder less apealing

aethier

17. macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I like the metal Finder, and Mail would be nice in metal as well.

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Grrrr! Where are all the sane people out there? Am I just crazy in thinking Metal is one of the worst ideas Apple ever had. This is especially true for designers who don't want a bunch of crap distracting them from their work.

19. macrumors newbie

Designers?

As a designer for many year, i think the design of the new finder is fine. I think it might be a tad overwhelming at first, but just like safari, it grows on you.

As for a bad choice by apple, i think the failure to include the ability to skin the finder was a mistake. As one of those freaky people who skinned Jaguar, i will probably be attempting to skin my OS as soon as my new computer arrives (Dual 2G G5), NEXT WEEK.

Personally, i say if you don't like it, shut up. There were plenty of pictures of the new finder well before the pre-order date, and you had plenty of time to see if you like the new look. Nobody forced you to buy panther. If you want an OS that you can customize to look anyway you want, there are several linux distros for mac......

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Re: Designers?

Well, in defense of this, the finder was skinable during different points of development. If you look at screen shots, you can see the updated aqua look on some finder windows with the sidebar.

21. macrumors regular

phgreer

I also love the new Metal look of OSX. I wish OSX would go totally metal. It "feels" more "solid". It's also a lot more manly.

I think it would be cool if the metal would rust after a time.

One thing I would really love to see is the hardware and software take on a brassy look. That way it would look very "Nemo'ish" -- no not the fish.. I'm talking about the look of the Natulius in the Jules Verne adventure.

22. macrumors 6502

Natulius look will be avaiable in version10.20,000 Leagues

23. macrumors 6502

You're right idkew. These people are all nuts. It would be much better Aqua.

Don't even expect popular opinion to make sense. NASCAR is the #1 sport in America, Bush is president, and Windows is the most popular OS by far. People are nuts and have no taste.

24. macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I don't understand why we have to argue about it. Apple did what they did for a reason. Aqua was in response to the look of the G4 PowerMac (it was white with pinstripes originally wasn't it?) and how the new PowerMac is brushed aluminum so hence they Finder followed. Firstly Apple is not going to do anything just becasue people don't like something. Secondly at this point it won't be until 10.4 and by then will it matter? Best you can do if you don't care for it is to wait for a third party software to "take the Metal off".

Let's not insult people by telling those that don't like the metal they are nuts or those who do that they have no taste.

To each his own...

macboyX

25. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

Not iTunes 4.0.1 (or whatever the newest is) on 10.2.8