Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Okay, I'm an idiot. I did a clean install of Panther yesterday from Upgrade CDs and consequently lost the MacOS 9 installation on my hard drive that made Classic operational. Is there any way I can get this back, or do I have to go out and find a MacOS 9.2 disc someplace (like, buy it)?

--Cless

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Your PowerBook is shipped with a restore DVD where all necessary apps can be found.
You can run the installer package called: "Install additional applications and Classic support" (or something similar) on that DVD on your running Panther system. Running that installer gives you the choice to select what you want: Classic only, other apps or iDVD (coud come in handy too :) ).
Otherwise you can insert the same restore DVD in the drive, open it, and select in the Finder the "Go to folder..." command from the "Go" menu. Then type ".images" (yes, with the dot) and the hidden directory containing the images of the 'additional apps" and Classic is shown.
Simply dubble-klick the "OS9General.dmg", and copy the contents (the System folder is enough) to the top-level of your HD.
Tell the Classic sysprefs to use the copied classic folder, and you're done.

Good luck.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Dur. Wow, that was so easy it was insulting. ::laughs:: Thanks for helpin' a new Mac user out. ^_^

--Cless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.