Help getting into Support Community?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArtOfWarfare, Sep 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Hi, I have a problem getting into Apple's Support Community:

I click the log in button. It has me give my Apple ID and password. I give them. It then says "Pick a Username". I do so. If I enter "ArtOfWarfare", the username I use on most sites, I am told that the name is unavailable and to pick another. So I try "ArtOWarfare" (I drop the "f"), but then it tells me this:

An account utilizing this email address already exists. Only one account per email address is allowed on Apple Support Communities.

What!?

If an account exists, then why the crap am I picking a username! Log me into that existing account!

Has anyone has similar issues? What is the solution?

Edit: I get this error if I enter anything besides "ArtOfWarfare", which I suspect is the name of the account I probably set up years ago and forgot about because how rarely I needed it.

2. macrumors 601

Do you have any other Apple ID's? Maybe one from an iTunes account?

3. thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This is my only Apple ID. I use it for accessing the iTunes stores as well as iTunesConnect (although it looks like I may need to create a second one to be able to upload iBooks... I tried adding that to my account and it said I wasn't allowed to have both iTunesConnect and iBooks Publisher hooked up to a single account or something like that.)

Find My Friends and iCloud are also hooked up for this Apple ID.

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. My Apple ID and password are valid, but it asks for a username when I try to log into the Support Community. I cannot find where to retrieve my user name. My ID and password are correct and used daily.

6. benjasmine, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

macrumors newbie

I just found a solution that worked for me.

When you are asked to login, instead of typing your e-mail address as your Apple ID, type your old username. If you don't remember having one, try guessing it.

Credit goes to Siobhanish in Apple Support Communities. I had to log out of Apple Support Communities in order to view the post...
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/19410382#19410382

Update:
    If the solution doesn't work, view post #15 and #16 here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1307516

7. macrumors newbie

Your suggestions did not work. Got any more ideas?

8. macrumors regular

Having the same issue here. Totally infuriating.