Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myffyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
does anyone know any way of getting track names for songs off a homemade compilation (or a single song for that matter) on a CD? i have several CDs full of new music that i don't know details of the music ie. artist or track name. It's driving me crazy.

NB. I know how to get track names where the CD is burnt in its entirety (going to "Advanced" via Gracenote CDDBetc) but this method doesn't seem to work for homemade compilations nor when i select one particular track eg "track 04"?

anyone know something tricky i could try?

thanks!

OETorrez

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2005
myffyx,

I think you will find what you're looking for HERE . :D

MusicBrainz Tagger (PC) and iEatBrainz (OS X) use "acoustic fingerprints (TRMs) to semiautomatically identify tracks in your music collection and then write clean and accurate metadata to your music files".

I have personally used iEatBrainz and it works very well, though it does misidentify some songs. You can review the retrieved metadata, select from various sets of retrieved metadata, and accept/decline retrieved metadata for individual songs before applying the new metadata to your song files.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
iEatBrainz is what you're looking for.

Run the app, select the songs from your iTunes library, and it use "acoustic fingerprinting" to figure out the artist, title, album, etc.

Sometimes there will be more than one song that fingerprints to the same ID, in which case there will be a dropdown from which you should select the correct match - hopefully a quick listen to the song will allow you to distinguish, say, 50 Cent from Barbara Streisand... :D

myffyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
Sweeeeet!! tried iEatBrainz. It worked a treat!!!
thanks both of you, I'm on my way to a music education.

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
bRAINZ..

I'm trying that ieatbrainz thing now and it doesn't seem to be doing much. I have a series of dots, ticks & fingers to the left, but no more info about the tracks is coming up, and it's taking forever...

Help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.