Help Going Wireless

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Fender2112, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

In the near future I plan to purchase a new Mac and will keep my old computer for the kids. I need information on how to set up a wireless network via AirPort so can we can share my internet connection.

My first hurdle is to find a wireless card for the old computer. It is a Power Computing Power Center Pro with a 400MHz G3 upgrade running OS 9.1. This machine has PCI expansion slots. What are my options.

Next Question. Which base station do I use if I want to use a cable modem for my internet connection.

I am sure this is a fairly simple thing to do. I just need to make sure all the parts work together.

Thanks

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, i think you'll be surprised how easy Airport works. But for now, you won't be using Airport, you'll be using the industry standard that it's built on, which means you'll have to use manufacturer software instead of Apple's. Same technology, different companies. There are wireless PCI cards out there, many vendors, pretty cheap (under $50 in some cases, i think)... Look for Mac compatible Wireless PCI cards (802.11b is the protocol, which it will sometimes be called)... Pop that in your tower. Next, connecting it. This one i'm not so sure on-- you'll need a wireless router, which connects a wireless network to cable/dsl/etc, i don't actually know if they make cable modems with built-in wireless routers or not. I have a Linksys cable modem that cost me $60 (bought not leased) and i'm looking at a $99 wireless router at Radioshack, also by linksys... you should be able to connect a cable modem and wireless router by a short ethernet cable... Alternately, if you want to go more expensive, you could get a genuine Apple Airport base station and plug that into your cable modem... that way if you get Airport in a future computer, it'll be that much easier to configure...

If you want to skip the router, like you have a laptop to share internet connection with wirelessly, you can plug the cable modem into a computer with built-in Airport and use the whole computer as a "soft" base station... but i don't think that works with 3rd party cards...

pnw

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you're going to buy a new mac that supports Airport Extreme (802.11g), you can buy an 802.11g wireless router that will connect all your computers and be backwards compatible with the old Airport (802.11b). I saw an ad for a Linksys model (not sure which one) for $129 that supports 802.11g. This was from Fry's Electronics. I have found that the Linksys routers are great products, as well. Good value, too.

4. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

A few more questions...

Option 1: If I put a Syslink PCI adapter in my old computer will it work with the Airport Extreme base station? And does the base serve as a router?

Option 2: If I go with the Syslink PCI adapter and router, what type of adapter do I use with a new iMac 17"? or a Power Mac? I noticed that the adapters come in various forms (PCI, PC, PCMICA, etc). Will the Airport adapters be compatable with the Syslink router?

Thanks

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: A few more questions...

1: Yes and yes.

2: The new iMac or PowerMac will use an Airport Extreme card. In fact, in the case of the iMac, you can ONLY use the Airport Extreme card. These will all work with the Syslink router as long as the Syslink is an 802.11b or 802.11g complaint router.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

A word of advice: if you're going to get 802.11g, for a Mac or two, get AirPort Extreme. Since the 802.11g spec hasn't actually been finalized yet, Apple will only guarantee that their brand off 802.11g will be forwards compatible with the final standard.