Help! Green Screen Of Death!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by void, Mar 12, 2003.

1. void macrumors 6502

I tried to install jaguar on an iMac 350 and it wouldnt get past the reading packages part so i rebooted into 9 and it went well but everything is green! It's like someone put a green piece of glass over the screen!!! HELP!!!!!!

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

try formating hard drive.. first boot cd with os 9 startup disk if that wont work try starting up from jaguar cd..
    also try holding option key on startup (alt) it will give you choice of startup systems

3. conceptdev macrumors regular

Sir, I have some bad news....

You have not killed the imac but odds are you have knocked it into a coma. This has happened to a large number of people who tried to install 10.2 on a classic imac without installing a required firmware update. This basically knocks out the screen

If you are positive you put in the right firmware update before attempting the Jag install - say so right away. If not I will go hunt down the instructions for saving your imac unless someone beats me to it.

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Sir, I have some bad news....

I wasn't aware of this. I'm going to be installing JAG onto an classic iMac in a month for my grandma....what firmware updates does it need to not totally destroy it?

5. conceptdev macrumors regular

This PDF gives an overview of the problem, the Firmware required and the fix. I have quickly scanned it and it seems to be inline with my knowledge of the issue - hope it helps.

Attached Files:

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Help! Green Screen Of Death!!!!

I hope you have put in a lot of memory in that machine because if not well you allready know! OSX Loves Lots of Memory

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if you run Software Update (repeatedly if necessary), it will install the most recent firmware.

a lot of consumers don't update their software regularly, and i point out once again that it's very important.

hope your can bring your iMac back...

pnw

8. awulf macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Sir, I have some bad news....

If you update the firmware on a Bondi iMac, The firmware disables the read access light on the button of the CD-ROM drive. Apple did this because: It doesn't look good when the light flashes, and people complained about the light.

9. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

When I installed OS 10.1 (and, later, Jaguar) on my blueberry iMac, the screen was often blue- or green-tinted. But once I installed the firmware update, everything was fine. So to the person saying that vjv's screen is permanently damaged, I think you might be overreacting a bit there.

--Fred

edit: "vjv" changed his name, he is now "void"