Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Yesterday I bought a copy of Micromat TechTool Pro 4.0.2. I repaired the directory data and started defragmenting my Maxtor 80 GB firewire drive. Then, TechTool crashed while defragmenting my drive.

I restarted my computer and the drive didn't mount. MacOS X said that it couldn't find a volume that it could read. The drive and the data show up in Apple System Profiler. It appears that the directory data is dammaged and the computer can't find the files. I checked with DriveSavers, who said that it would cost me between $ 500-2000 to fix my drive.

The only things on the drive are some music, Flash and FCP projects, and some backups. I would like to have this data back without spending a fortune. Does anyone have some tips on how to remedy this?

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Update: The drive shows 60 GB free and only 6 files. The drive shows up, just the files are missing, except for a few select files and empty folders.

Do you know how to browse an external drive from the terminal?

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
I'm depressed. I browsed the drive in Terminal and didn't find any of my data. Any ideas on how to scavenge data from a reformatted drive? I will hire someone as a last resort.

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
My Sympathies go out to you...

Hi, I really don't know how to help you but just wanted to extend my sympathies...I had the same thing happen to my G3 B&W's hard disk about a month ago. (Mac OS X couldn't find a bootable drive) I took it to my favorite expert at the college help-desk and he worked on it for a loooong time--he tried *everything* possible, but the drive was just too scrambled. I lost 6 months of digital photos, 8 gigs of music, and 2 years of homework assignments. Not cool.

Anyway, I know how it feels to lose your data...not cool. My sympathies.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Uh you guys must not use PCs much, here's a list of reliable brands (and I have this on really, really good authority):

1. Seagate (moderate capacity, good all around)
2. Western Digital (Higher capacity, low speed)
3. IBM/hitachi (Low capacity, high speed)

Here are some bad brands:
1. Maxtor (high capacity, moderate speed, very high failure rate)
2. Quantum (Do they even make hard drives anymore?)

If you see any other brand out there, it was probably made by one of the above companies. Find out before you buy it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
slughead said:
2. Quantum (Do they even make hard drives anymore?)

No, they do not. They were sold to Maxtor.
And I don't care for Western Digital. I can't even tell you how many I've been forced to replace.

oldfart

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
Albuquerque
GovornorPhatt said:
Yesterday I bought a copy of Micromat TechTool Pro 4.0.2. I repaired the directory data and started defragmenting my Maxtor 80 GB firewire drive. Then, TechTool crashed while defragmenting my drive.

I restarted my computer and the drive didn't mount. MacOS X said that it couldn't find a volume that it could read. The drive and the data show up in Apple System Profiler. It appears that the directory data is dammaged and the computer can't find the files. I checked with DriveSavers, who said that it would cost me between $ 500-2000 to fix my drive.

The only things on the drive are some music, Flash and FCP projects, and some backups. I would like to have this data back without spending a fortune. Does anyone have some tips on how to remedy this?

...uuuhhmmm...not that it really matters, but can you give up some "specs" on what you have like model, OS stuff like that.

Tech Tools works fine for me, but I've had situations where things look pretty bad and it got me out of it. What I do if I have a problem and have to use Tech Tools, I let it run one test and restart. The reason is that you can revert to "something" because it saves the info after it finishes a test. (It does do that for you, doesn't it?) :eek:

As far as Defragging goes that's useless (probably my opinion alone) and a carry-over from Windo-itis syndrome :eek: as the OS runs well with a little bit of fragmented files. The real problem is in the file structure and directories getting corrupted (and there are many reasons for that like forced shut downs).

If you could run TT and see if you can recover the saved TT file; start from there.

Maybe someone else sees something here that I don't :( Jump in :p I'm not that smart :mad: :( :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.