Help!!! HD free disk space slowely disappear...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by notmenotyou, Jul 13, 2004.

1. notmenotyou macrumors member

my TiBook 400 with 10.3.4 serve me really well since day one i have it, absolutely no complain. couple days ago, i installed two freeware called "Weather" and "ClearDock", and i had "Weather" as a start up items and something strange is happening since then... i used to have more than 2Gig free HD space in my start up disk and i haven't restarted my TiBook for two days, but yesterday all of the sudden, i got a warning message i need to free up some disk space, and when i double click my hard disk icon, i only see 53MB available, and i was so confused. i restarted my system and everything back to normal again, but when i checked my system again this morning, i was down to 200MB again. i restarted my system again an hour ago and it showed there is 2.1G free disk space and right now i only have 1.89G. currently, my browser is the only software i am running. btw, i already trash both "Weather" and "ClearDock" out of my system, but my HD space still slowly disappear, someone please help me!!!!!!!!! :(

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

This is usual behaviour, the disappearing space is a result of virtual memory swap files being created, which are then deleted when you restart. If you are finding that you're running out of space after keeping the computer on for a couple of days, you should probably delete some files. You might find DeLocalizer useful for this.

3. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    This is very ture I'v had the same issue many times.

4. notmenotyou thread starter macrumors member

i will try it right now, thanks for the advise! :)

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you could also try logging out and then back in. i think that clears the swap out as well, and is probably a bit faster than a rebot. after you log out just wait a bit to make sure everything is cleared out.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Go to Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder then click on the Sysytem Memory tab then look for VM size. this will tell you your total VM swap file size. Mine is 6.11 Gigs right now.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

no, it needs a reboot. however, the files can also be deleted manually - they are located in /private/var/vm directory (if i remember correctly) which is only accessible via terminal.

8. notmenotyou thread starter macrumors member

i think i should have enough memory left, my system has 512MB physical memory and system memory tab show me that i still have 98MB free memory and the VM is 2.98G. i only have "Mail" and "Camino" running for the pass three hours, but my HD space still slowely disappear. i already tried Tech Tools Pro 4, repair disk permission, and nothing help... i really don't want to reformat my HD. :(

9. Ilikemacs macrumors newbie

When my iBook was getting under 2 GB I noticed my space disappearing for no reason. It seemed that when it got so low it wasn't very accurate, however when I restarted the computer all the "lost" space returned, as though things weren't getting compressed properly without a restart...

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

As a rule, I tell people to try their best to have at least 6GB Free at all times on their boot drive (unless they move the swap to a different volume). That way you have room for temp files for internet browsing and swap files, without risking the adverse affects of running out of room for swap files to do their job.

11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Just as a test to prove the reason for the HD depleting is a result of VM reset your computer, look at your free space and your VM size, then an hour later look at your free HD space and your VM size and do the math.

I'm pretty sure it is due to VM, as the previous poter said you should have around 6 Gigs free at all times.

12. webmatthijs macrumors member

Delete them...

Try searching in the library of your hard disk. deleting some of the not vulnerable folders in there from e.g. old programs that you have already de-installed. you'l be suprised how much room these small folders take up.

Another good thing to do is making notes of how much space each folder takes up. For example: the Music Folder is 7GB and Movie Folder is 24GB.

Good luck making room... :)

13. Crovus macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem. I have 9+++ GB free, and then it slowly goes down in a couple of days.

I've checked my VM it's 38.07GB is that even normal?

Any thoughts

14. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

umm, and my VM size is 51.94 Gb, that seems considerably higher than anyone elses. I've still got 31Gb available on my HD. Is this normal?