Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ltud, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ltud macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    Hi Everyone,

I posted a question about three days ago (see about ibook battery solutions. Unfortunatly, no one replied to it. I'm wondering if this is because no one has any experience with off-brand batteries, or if it just slipped through the cracks.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. I'm not opposed to buying the stock Apple battery, I just want to know if there's anything better available.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I read that thread and didn't have any answers for you. I just did a quickie search and couldn't come up with anything but the Apple battery. That may be your best bet.
  3. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    I'm not sure if there are any third-party batteries out there, but my question would be why take the risk on such an integral component as a battery? I'm sure that it would void your warranty (as almost every electronics manufacturer says if you use a third-party battery). And, for something so intimately tied to performance on a laptop, I know I wouldn't risk it.

- reaper
  4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    The way most manufacturers are custom fitting their batteries to the appliance, third party manufacturers can't easily keep up with the changes/demand or quality of the original equipment manufacturer. Get the Apple battery.
  5. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    if you were being oppressed you wouldn't be able to post.
  6. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    I have an APC battery for my g3 ibook. As far as battery life, so far it hasn't been better or worse than the apple batteries (I'll know better after using it longer). APC is pretty reliable as a power supplies company.

Any special reason I bought APC? I was at compusa and they didn't stock the stock apple battery for some reason. Price is about the same.

It has a few cosmetic issues, though. It doesn't line up perfectly with the edge of my ibook, the four indicator lights do not flash when charging, the test button is designed poorly (hard to push, cockeyed), and the rubber foot doesn't snap in like apple's but is glued on instead (mine fell off, and a typical apple foot won't work). I don't know if they come in the g4 ibook case style. Next time it'll be an apple battery. I want my computer to look as it should.
  7. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    you'd be able to post alright, it's just that that post wouldn't say what you wanted it to say and there may or may not be a moderator edit stamp at the bottom. It all depends on what you want to say. :)
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Well, the doesn't line up perfectly should put it right along side the OEM iBook G4 battery :D, although the latter doesn't have the *other* problems....

ltud, sorry, don't have any *valuable* input. :( But with the looks of the iBook I'd suspect too that fit & finish will be iffy with a third-party. But as a backup it might not be so bad. My quick web searching indicated that there's a significant price save as a %, but the real thing is only a little more than $150CAD to begin with, right? (I was looking at US prices)
  9. ltud thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks for all your advice. I think I will go with the Apple battery, because the only substitute locally available is actually a bit more expensive and they make no claims of superior battery life so I doubt I'll experience any. Just wanted to may sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Thanks again
  10. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    Bloody peasant!