Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archmagination

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
I have bought some books directly from Itunes and they are automaticly put under the Audiobooks list in Itunes(You know the Drawer type thing on the left side that also lists Music, TV Shows, Movies, etc under the Library heading)

I have also ripped some Audiobook CD's into Itunes.. made them into Audiobooks(bookmarkable, etc) and selected the Audiobooks Genre, but for some reason they will not move into that Audiobooks list under library.. Can anyone help with that? I have tried copying and stuff and it still won't work.. I hate having my audiobooks mixed in with my music(Even though I have them skipped on shuffle/random,etc.)

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I wanted to do this too but so far have found no way to do it.

I just had to make a new Audiobooks playlist, which is annoying.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I had the same problem and it's really annoying but here's the step you still have to do for it to work: After you made the files bookmarkable (important), delete them from your iTunes library (do not put them in the trash can though). Then reimport them and they will be in the audiobooks section.

sven945

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
How do you make the files bookmarkable?

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.php?page=1#makebookmarkable

That script should work.

However, I'm having some troubles with it. I've got hundreds of episodes of radio programmes now in aac fomat (.m4a) after converting them using iTunes from MP3. I've got them selected, and I run the script from the menu. I then get the error "Can't make some data into the expected type". The top file of the selection disappears from the library. Looking on my hard drive, it is converted to m4b and is bookmarkable (I've tested one that I manually added into the library and which appeared in my Audiobooks section), however it is only converting one at a time because of the error. I can cope with adding them all in manually after they have been converted, but does anybody know about why that error is coming up? I've had a quick look at the script with the intention of modifying it to carry on despite the error but with no luck (it's been a long time since I've done any coding of any sort, and I never was any good in the first place).

Any advice from anyone? I'm using version 7.0.2 of iTunes on my iBook G4 running OSX 10.4.8.

jack

Zammy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
Adding Audiobooks to Audiobooks playlist

I've got a simple way to do it. Not sure if it works only on itunes 8 though. In itunes, click the file you want to move, then go to file -- get info. There is an option there to change media type from music to audiobooks. Hope it works.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I've got a simple way to do it. Not sure if it works only on itunes 8 though. In itunes, click the file you want to move, then go to file -- get info. There is an option there to change media type from music to audiobooks. Hope it works.

Just wanted to say thanks to Zammy

Once you hear this, you know that its obviously correct. I spent a lot of time looking for the setting that would do this and kept missing MediaType. Almost embarrassing.

Anyway great to get this issue resolved.

Pete

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Just to avoid starting my own thread -

I've got an audiobook that's in mp3 format, told iTunes it was an audiobook in get info and it obligingly lined up with the rest of the audiobooks in iTunes. On my iPhone and 5G iPod it shows up under audiobooks.

I threw this audiobook and 2 audiobooks bought from audible onto my 2G iPod mini though and the mp3 audiobook stopped showing up under audiobooks.

I guess the mini only recognises audiobooks in the correct format and not ones that you've told iTunes are audiobooks? It's not a major issue, but it's confusing me.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Since this thread was resurrected, I might as well add my two cents.

I use Audiobook Builder. Best money I have spent. If you buy a lot of audiobook CD's online or at your local used book store, this works very well. When you rip the CD's, you just open Audiobook Builder and use it to rip the CD's, then it builds the files in to a bookmark-able audiobook. And it imports it right in to iTunes for you. Then I create a playlist for the book and sync it to my iPhone. Simple.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I've given up on Audiobook builder since I find I often have problems with the files it creates on hard drive based iPods.

Works great on my iPhone, and it worked fine on a shuffle as well, but my HD based iPods will play the file fine for could be 10 minutes, could be 45 then suddenly it'll just stop and jump me back to the main screen and it'll have forgotten its place in the file.

When I checked there was a huge thread on their forum about it, but no one could find the cause of the problem. Never have the problem with audible or emusic audiobooks - it's annoying since the software is great otherwise :( Roll on flash based classics (I wish)

Pokie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks to Zammy

Once you hear this, you know that its obviously correct. I spent a lot of time looking for the setting that would do this and kept missing MediaType. Almost embarrassing.

Anyway great to get this issue resolved.

Pete

Pete/or anyone else...
Can you please help me with this I do not see the Media Type setting .
Thanks Colleen

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Pete/or anyone else...
Can you please help me with this I do not see the Media Type setting .
Thanks Colleen

Select a file or album, press CMD-I to get the info window, click on the options tab, then you see the media typ selection (change from music to film, video, audiobook or whatever). :)

Pokie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Select a file or album, press CMD-I to get the info window, click on the options tab, then you see the media typ selection (change from music to film, video, audiobook or whatever). :)

Cine,
I do not know where the cmd-I buttons are , but am able to highlight the particular file - I go to the info window to the options tab, but cannot click on the media type selection because the whole page is greyed out and wont allow me to make any changes. Any suggestions?:eek:
Thanks ,
Colleen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.