Help! How do I export a GB3 file as .mp3 or .wav

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ever Hopeful, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Ever Hopeful macrumors newbie

I do most of my work on Windows machines, but now have a Mac Mini with the aim of eventually moving over to Apple.

Garageband 3 is great, but I cannot find a way to get its output into a form that I can use on an excellent Windows program called "Vlog It" by Serious Magic (just bought out by Adobe!).

I would have thought GarageBand would offer MP3 as an export option. I exported to iTunes with iTunes import set to MP3, but I don't know how to access the iTunes file and get it across to a Windows machine. I can't even tell if the iTunes file is in fact a .mp3 file.

This is proving very frustrating. I can do lots of advanced things with computers, but this has me stumped. Why doesn't such a sophisticated application as GB3 offer exporting as MP3?

Can anyone help me get over this problem, please?

I would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Best regards,

Ever Hopeful

2. funcman macrumors newbie

The way I do it is:

In Garageband, you go to Share > Send Song to iTunes. Load iTunes, go to iTunes Preferences > Advanced. Click on the Importing button. For the Import Using drop down box select MP3 Encoder, and for the Setting drop down box select Higher Quality (192 kbps). OK out of the window and right click on your song in iTunes > Convert Selection to MP3, and thats it.

There may be a better or quicker way to do it, but this is the way that I have figured out.

3. danhig123 macrumors member

Hey,

You do realise that mp3 is a lossy codec right? If your looking for audio quality why not bounce it as a .wav file? Unless file size is an issue of course... even so, check what file formats your other program supports, there are some far more advanced lossy codecs out there which will give you better results. AAC for example, is far more sophisticated.

Danny