Help! How do I transfer stuff between my DVR and Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benthewraith, Jul 20, 2006.

1. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have a DVR, and would like to record shows to watch on my computer. My DVR device has a USB cable attached to it. Is there any way of transferring files from my DVR to my laptop? If so, what kind of device/flash drive would I need. the show would be about 45 min long. Would that fit on a 512 MB flash drive?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What kind of DVR is it? A one like a TiVO or an external computer DVR? A 1 hour show with the commercials edited out is around 200MB.

3. benthewraith thread starter macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The one that comes with Comcast. I guess I could check, but I don't know how to transfer stuff. So I'm assuming it would fit on my flash drive if it's only 200 MB?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried using the USB port on the DVR to see if it works? Most of the time they are dissabled to prevent you from getting the digital content off of the DVR. If they dissabled the USB port, then I would suggest getting the name of the device and googleing it to see if anyone has succesfully gotten the shows off of that model.

5. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

The ports on the front do not work.

I've been told the ones on the back work, but no idea. I actually work for comcast(kind of, constructive), but they've always been vague about it.

get back at us and let us know. I would just plug it in and see if it mounts or anything.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, it won't capture stuff that's already recorded onto your Comcast DVR, but here's a great article on how to capture live and future programs:

Make your own Home Theatre Mac (HTMac)

7. benthewraith thread starter macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If there was a Rep system, I would so green you right now!!! :D

As it stands, there isn't. :(

Thank You so much everybody. :)

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I gotta say this might be the most helpful post Ive ever read on the internet. Major props. Actually, it will capture pre-recorded stuff. Just play it back and hit the record button.