Help! How do I uninstall FAHclient?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Louis Wu, Jan 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

OK, that sounds like a stupid question, but I installed the latest beta, 7.1.43 on my mac mini and MBP but decided that they didn't get enough PPD to make the increase in fan noise and heat worthwhile.

Now the client runs automatically and I don't notice for a while (until my lap starts getting hot) and if I pull the apps (fahclient, FAHControl, fahviewer) then I get this message in the finder every few seconds and it continuously interferes with doing anything else...

any ideas?

thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

Have you found an answer yet? you could try a search of "folding" on your hard drive and then remove the folding@home stuff that shows up. I think I have done that before and it worked ok.

3. macrumors member

Yes, very annoying

No uninstaller and just dragging to the trash doesn't work

You need to remove the FAHClient launchDeamon from /Library/LaunchDaemons

Hope that helps

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Successfully uninstalled!

THANK YOU!!

that did the trick. I waited till the WUs were done before trashing the apps. not a moment too soon; I was beginning to get cranky about it. we're all doing this for a good cause but I do like to retain a measure of control over our machines...

thanks again!

5. macrumors member

You're welcome!

I've raised this issue over on the foldingforum.org, so we'll see if something gets done.

Anyone here should feel free to head on over to the v7 beta forum and add their feedback on folding under OSX.

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad you got it figured out. i thought the installer usually had an uninstaller with it?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

8. macrumors 6502

Boy, am I glad I found this. I lost control of my computer for a bit. What lousy software!

Thanks for posting the solution.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

the default really should be set to "pause on start" in my opinion. glad you got it sorted out.

most of the big points these days are done using Windows or Linux (for the bigadv work units) and gaming GPUs or dedicated multiprocessor server boxes.

we're happy to answer any questions!

Louis

10. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i still haven't uninstalled it on my mbp. everytime i restart it starts folding, and i open up the app and pause it. i know that everytime i do that, it gets a new WU and it's not good.