HELP! How to change printer in Outlook Exp.5 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jgjanssen, Mar 26, 2006.

1. jgjanssen macrumors newbie

I recently downloaded Outlook Express 5 for Mac and installed it on my eMac with OSX 10.3.9 and overall, the email program works much better than the AppleMail that comes with the computer. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the printer so I can print with my new HP PhotoSmart 2575 printer. (The printer that shows as currently installed is a Color Stylewriter Pro, something that I didn't install, either. My previous printer was a LexMark model Z2311.) I do not see any pull-down menu anywhere in the menu bar on Outlook Express 5, and the help drop down menu is of no help, either. Does anyone know where I should go to change the printer and install my current printer? Thanks!

John J.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you should be doing is asking for help in configuring Mail properly. Mail is about as trouble-free as a mail client can be. It is MacOS X-native.

Outlook Express is a MacOS 9 app. There was no need to download it because OE is part of the standard installation of Classic. It prints through Classic. This means that you need a MacOS 9 print driver to print Outlook Express messages. Classic can print only via Ethernet or USB. The Color StyleWriter print driver is part of the default installation of Classic.

If you want to print from a Classic app without a printer with Classic support, there is a workaround. Create a virtual PostScript printer. This will allow you to print from Classic to PostScript files. These files will automatically convert to PDF when opened in Preview. You can print them on your MacOS X printer from there.

3. jgjanssen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! Now, I know this will also sound pretty dumb, but where would I go to download such a print driver for my problem? :confused:

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How about the HP website?

5. jgjanssen thread starter macrumors newbie

I just sent an email request to HP Tech Support that asked them if they could provide me with the printer driver for my printer that will allow me to print from Outlook Express 5 for Mac. We'll see how this plays out, I guess. Anyway, thanks for your help! ;)