Help, how to recover a deleted folder!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by al3000, Nov 28, 2006.

1. al3000 macrumors 6502

I just accidentally deleted my whole university folder, I dragged what i thought was a shortcut across to the trash, and emptied it. Arrrrgh!!! I did not use secure empty trash. Is there any way i can recover it?

thanks a lot for any advice!

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Build a physical time machine. Go into the future (about July of next year - safe bet) and walk into an Apple retail store. Buy Leopard. Get back in time machine and go back in time... (august will do, before uni term started). Install Leopard set up software Time Machine. Go back to present day. Use Time Machine® to recover files.

Or search MacUpdate for a recovery app.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can try a recovery app like FileSalvage...it likely won't be cheap though, and results depend on whether the files have been overwritten. FileSalvage has a demo mode to allow you to identify what's salvageable before you plunk down the $80.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If these are files that you really need, you have to quit all applications that might write to the drive and then stop using the computer. Any disk activity can overwrite the deleted files.

Then research file retrieval software on another computer. There's one called DataRescue II. It's quite expensive. I don't know if there are cheaper or free solutions.

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If you were only running Leopard! Time Machine would have saved you.... :D