Help! How to transfer 4gb file from pc to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mileslong, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i have a music video on my pc at work which is around 4gb. i want to transfer it to my mac so i can burn it to watch on my dvd at home. i have been trying to burn this off of the pc but i dont think the burner does this since i keep putting a dvd into both drives and it keeps saying there is no media in the drive.

anyway to compress and email this? i am also trying to burn it as a data disc but now luck. any suggestions? oh yeah, the file is a VOB file.

thanks!

2. satans_banjo macrumors regular

If you're not stuck for time, you could try one of these temporary upload servers:

www.rapidshare.de
    www.yousendit.com

I'm not sure what their limit on size is, but of course 4gb is going to take a long time to upload and download so be prepared to wait

3. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

got an iPod?
    if so, connect, go to itunes, go to preferenes, go to the ipod panel, check enable harddisk use, quit itunes, drag the file into the notes folder on your ipod (no you can't play it this way), go to your mac, connect your ipod, click it, click notes, drag the file to your desktop, burn the disc!
    hope this works!

4. danny_w macrumors 601

If the file is 4GB in size, it is at the limit of FAT32 already. How is your PC formatted? If the file is larger than the FAT32 limit, then you cannot use the iPod procedure above to transfer to a FAT32 (Windows) formatted iPod. In that case, burning it to a DVD is just about your only solution.

5. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i appreciate the help guys, i think the pc maybe doesnt have a dvd burner or something. it can play dvds but it wont let me burn one from a vob file. i am going to try burning a video vcd on a cd disk tomorrow. yousendit will only go to 2gb's. i cant believe i have this great video now stuck on that stupid pc and i cant get it off. grrrr.

6. jbt macrumors newbie

i've got a couple of suggestions.
    is it possible to network the 2 computers, if so then just transfer it across the network.
    else try using a program called super dvd ripper. will convert vob files to a format of your choice.

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Can you get an external HD enclosure from somewhere, then plug that in to your Mac?

8. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

i have a lacie external HD but can i use it on a pc as well as my mac?

9. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

um... I think if it's NTFS formatted then no you can't. If FAT32 then yes. But I guess it would have to be NTFS formatted if you had a 4 GB file. So on second thoughts... perhaps this isn't possible. Network!

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Actually, it could work since he's going from a PC to the Mac. Mac OS X can read from (but not write to) NTFS, so the OP could put the file on the external disk from the PC then connect to the Mac and copy it to the HD (or just play it from the disk), right?

11. danny_w macrumors 601

How is your PC formatted? How is your LaCie formatted? If the PC is NTFS format, then can you afford to reformat the LaCie to NTFS (I know it's overkill, but hey...)? Macs can read NTFS naticely.

As has been suggested before, if the PC is NTFS, then the easiest way to move files is probably to network the 2 machines. However, it sounds like the PC is at work and the Mac is at home, so this could be difficult unless one of them is portable.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well... you might be able to do something like a zip or rar archive where it splits the file up into smaller chunks, burn it to multiple CD's (or whatever you can tote between the two locations), then unzip it at home.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Get a copy of MacDrive (there is a free trial available) and load it on the PC. Then just copy it to the HD and take it home. That's how I got a bunch of video files from my PC at work to my Mac at home.

14. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks for all the responses guys. i will try and use my lacie HD and copy it on there. my mac is a 17" powerbook wo i can take it the office and try it there. i will report back. thanks again.