HELP!!! I accidentally deleted all of my photos!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cleanup, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Okay here's the deal. I keep all of my photos in a folder called Pictures on my desktop and I set iTunes to sync from that because I don't like iPhoto (each folder inside the Pictures folder is an album)

I don't know how it happened but my Pictures folder ended up in the trash

And I went to empty the trash and it said it was deleting 600 files... I tried to stop it but it was too late.

I noticed that my Pictures folder was gone from my desktop. Spotlight reveals nothing.

I know there's a way to get music off of an iPod to a computer—is there a similar method for photos? All of my photos are still on my Nano... ><

HELP!!!!!!!! Music can be redownloaded—but photos have to be RETAKEN!!!! :( :( :(

Thanks in advance! I'm dying here.

2. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Okay I found this Knoweldge Base article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93446

but i have to put the ipod into disk mode. but it's set to auto sync music and photos. once i plug the ipod in won't it wipe it clean of photos when itunes can no longer find my pictures folder???

what should I do? :(

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

aren't the photos on my nano resized? compressed, and optimized for the tiny screen?

have i lost my full res photos forever?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is a checkbox in the preferences for photo syncing for copying full sized pictures as well as the scaled ones. I think it's unchecked by default. Unless you had this checked you will have to restore your pictures from backup. If you don't have backup then you just learned an important lesson. Take backups. Your harddrive won't last forever. It will almost certainly fail at some point.

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

okay, well, i can't check the options right now, i have to plug my ipod in.

how do i prevent any sort of synchronization upon plug in? isn't there some sort of key combo that you hold down to prevent itunes from doing anything?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If that doesn't work, there are disk utility applications for repairing the drives and possibly recovering lost files.

However, copying a bunch of stuff to the HD before you get a chance to buy the apps and recover the files will degrade your chances of doing it.

There should some apps you can use to enable an undelete capability.

But like backups, these are things you need to do BEFORE losing or deleting data.

Backups are another copy, and "undelete" just tracks deleted files after you start using the app/hack.

7. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

A friend did something similar last year but to 1000+ photos. He couldnt recover them and he tried everthing. I backup every 2gb of pics/avis onto an external and make 2 copies on dvd, one for home and one to be stored at work. Currently 32,000 pics of my kids covering 5 years. Hope you didnt delete anything too precious.

8. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Well no nothing too precious. I can get a lot of the photos back from my friends' websites and such, as they've uploaded them to their myspaces and MSN Spaces and blogs and things, but some are lost forever I suppose.

How do I prevent synchronization as soon as I hook up my iPod? So I can at least get the low-res versions back of the photos I can't get in any other way.

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

10. lordj4000 macrumors member

To prevent iTunes from automatically synching, open iTunes, hold down the Option and Apple keys, plug in iPod. Wait till the iPod shows up and is obviously not synching before you let go. :)