Help I Accidentally Saved Over A Word File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dylangurl21, Dec 17, 2006.

1. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Help..i Accidentially Saved Over A 12 Page Final In Word..is There Anything Ic An Do?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

is it still open?

can you undo the copy over?

I don't know much about word however

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

If you still haven't closed word yet, perhaps you can find an autosave somewhere. Otherwise... Don't think there's much hope, unfortunately. Backing up somewhere else atleast once a day is a good thing.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

sorry, it sounds to me there's nothing you can do. i've been there myself, so i feel for you. it's times like these we wish leopard and time machine were already out.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

There is nothing you can do right now. To prevent this in the future, use versioning instead of saving. After you've initially saved the file, you can create versions inside of the file. I have Word vX, so for me, I click on File, and under Save as Web Page, there is "Versions…". Give that a shot, since you can easily roll back bad saves that way.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You can also elect to make backup versions of each document in Word Prefs.

7. dylangurl21 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually..there is a solution just in case anyone ever searches and finds this thread. I am a compulsive "saver." I save at least every paragraph (I'm an English major; I like my words, ok?). I found a program called FileSalvage which recovered every Word document on my harddrive including all 46 saves of my "563 Final". The pleasure cost me 70 dollars, but I got my 12 page final back so it was well worth it to me.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. kauriblume macrumors newbie

if you've just done it and you had the old text before just ctrl + z until you get the file back. but if you've already gone off it it's nearly impossible unless you have a automatic back up thing :S

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think, judging from the fact you bumped a thread from 2006, that you can't help this guy.

11. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

and I thought the guy who said this

"it's times like these we wish leopard and time machine were already out."

was being witty and ironic (if not a tiny bit mean)