Help! I can't get songs off of my iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Topono, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Topono macrumors member

I just got my 5G iPod, which I am happy with. The only problem: My brother and sister have iPods, too. Unfortuantly, my sister also likes N'Sync and Britany Spears. When I go to update my iPod, I check the songs off of the Library so they don't get transferred to my iPod, but they still do. I feel shamed that N'Sync has to be on my iPod, taking up valuable space. Is there a way that the songs aren't transferred to my iPod, but my sister can keep it on hers?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Go into the iPod preferences and select "Manually manage songs and playlists." This means that you'll have to drag your music over yourself - no more autosync but you'll have complete control over what music goes onto your iPod, it also lets you delete music from your computer's HDD and it won't be deleted from the iPod when you plug it in. It will also let you plug your iPod into other people's computers and download their music onto your iPod (which is fine so long as you don't then move that music from your iPod onto your computer).

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would propose that you each make a separate iPod playlist and manually manage your songs. Then you can have an N'Sync and Britney free playlist to drag to your iPod whereas your siblings can have their own.

4. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Macrumors is a really friendly place. :)

5. Timepass macrumors 65816

I like this route. Did something like that for my iPod. I just choose the playlist I want to be on there and keep it Auto syncing just those. Lots of them are the smart playlist so when ever I update stuff on my itunes it covers the playlist updates. Mind you I am the only one who uses my computer so I dont have the same problems but the idea can easily be adapted to work for you. Just make a folder and fill it full of the playlist you want. Then only have the ipod Sync with those. That wah you will still have access to your playlist in the iPod.

6. jtam macrumors newbie

What my kids do is they each have their own sign in screen on the computer so as long as they're signed in under their name, their itunes show only the songs they've downloaded. Of course if you charge your ipod using your computer you need to make sure you're signed in under your name!