Help! I got bad ram for my mini now need to replace.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MikeJett86, Jul 2, 2005.

1. MikeJett86 macrumors newbie

Okay ... where is a good place to get quality ram for a mac that's not the apple website? It's known that the apple website's ram prices are outrages is my only problem with apple. Below is the explanation for my question/problem.

so I screwed up. I got some ram from Omni Technologies for my Mac Mini because it was cheap (1gb for $91 shipped) and I got it today, put it in, booted up and everything was running great. then safari quit unexpectedly, then the finder stopped responding and an installer for a driver for my powermate. So I restarted and everything didn't load. The finder bar came up but no clock, wireless icon, bluetooth icon or dock. so I restarted again. Everything came up fine but a few seconds later the "restart your computer" screen came up, the one with like 8 different languages. So I did. Then the same screen came up again without even getting to my desktop. So, completely fed up, i turned it off and waited a few minutes and turned it back on and I got a kernal message with the restart screen so i turned it off, opened it up, switched the ram and started it up. Everything is fine now that I'm back to my stock 256. so tuesday I'm sending the bad ram back, getting a refund and buying some better stuff. So, anyone have a good place with a good price for a stick of 1gb?

Thanks to anyone who can help
    Michael

2. alexeismertin macrumors regular

alexeismertin

3. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

I bought my PC2700 1 GB chip from newegg (www.newegg.com) for $80 something.

4. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I bought 1GB of RAM for my iBook from Omni Technologies and it works great.

5. MikeJett86 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys. Getting this all sorted out on tuesday when the business open back up from the holiday.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Sorry about the bad luck. Apple's prices aren't that outrageous if you want it to work. :p

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yeah they are. Try Datamem.com. They guarantee their RAM to work with Macs.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree. Go to datamem.com. There pricing is good, and you can also get a good deal on shipping, so yuou probably can it get within a couple days.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You'd be taking the same risk again by getting a PC Generic DIMM from NewEgg. They do not guarantee compatibility. There is also no guarantee that the RAM that worked in "Bob S.'s" Mac last week is the same RAM they are selling this week.

Best to go with a reputable seller (<BIAS> not an eBay seller or a big box store or online discounter </BIAS>) who knows Macs, tests and guarantees compatibility with the Mini.

I also like www.datamem.com. I have dealt with them for 5 years.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com