Help! I have all this software and I don't know what it is!

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Feb 13, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

This guy gave me all this software and I don't know what it is. Can anybody tell me? I'm going to use it on my Aluminum PowerBook G4. Here's the list:
    -Mac OS X Developer tools (includes Web Objects 5)
    -Web Publishers' Toolbox
    -Web Objects 5 (still in the box
    -Web Objects 4.5 Developer (also in the box)
    he also gave me Powerbook G4 install disks (version 9.1- 10.0.3), a Mac OS X version 10.0.3 disk, and iMovie 2 (one disk for OS X and one for 9)
    Along with ll of that, he gave me a Performa 6360 with OS 8, the install disks, a guided tour, a kensington mouse and keyboard, and an Apple Multiple Scan 15" display. The performa is very nice, and has a cheapernet/ twisted pair ethernet card installed. I was mostly curious to know about Web Objects and Publishers' Toolbox. Thanks in advance for replying :)

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't know what Publishers' Toolbox is, but Web Objects is Apple's web development API. Very powerful - .mac and iTunes and the Apple Store is based on Web Objects if you're looking for examples. Very expensive too! If you don't have a use for it, sell it on eBay, it'll make you some $$$!

3. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

sweeet! I want to learn how to use it rather than sell it though. Is it easy to learn? It came with a thick booklet...

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's an advanced program. Not easy to learn. But it's not bad at all, for that type of program.

5. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

To install it, it says I need to log in as the "root" user. How do I do this?

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You need to enable root access. Do a search for it on the boards here.

BEN

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Applications->Utilities->NetInfo Manager.

In NetInfo Manager:

Security->Authenticate...
    Security->Enable Root User

8. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

okay, I set up the root account, and logged into it to install the software. It still says the installation failed, and I don't know why. The password was typed in correctly and everything. The name for the root account is System Administrator, but the short name is root. Is it supposed to be like that?
    Also, thanks for replying :)

9. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Here's what the installer said:

Feb 13 19:34:36 : Install Failed
    Feb 13 19:34:36 : Error detected
    Feb 13 19:34:36 : Name: NSGenericException
    Feb 13 19:34:36 : Reason: The post-install or upgrade script in X-WebObjectsLicense failed. (code 2)
    Feb 13 19:34:36 : Aborted install.

I've tried to install it several more times. I'm not used to my Macintosh being so difficult to use...

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know what your problem is, but I'd like to point out that you should disable the root account again once you've finished with it.

11. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Thanks, I'll be sure to disable the account when I'm done. Do I need to have OS X Server, because those are the requirements on the box of WebObjects 4.5 (even though I'm installing 5), and on Apple's support site, the WebObjects FAQs are under Server Products.

12. Cybernanga macrumors regular

WebObjects 5.2 currently costs US$699.00 from Apple. You have some decent $$$ in your hands ;)

13. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Yes, you need to have OS X Server running on the system you are trying to install it on.

14. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

eBay it is then. I'm going to sell WebObjects 5 in the box, WebObjects 4.5 in the box, a PowerMac 6100/60 with a monitor and with the dos compatibility card I just won on eBay for $1.00, and a PowerMac 5500/225 with a 2gb HD and 32 mb Ram running OS 8. I'll sell it all seperately of course. All of this was free, and accumulated over the course of 2 weeks. Does anyone know how much I should sell WebObjects 4.5 and 5 for? I plan on selling these two seperately. Thanks:) munnies:) :)

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

I would be extremely careful in root. You can do some serious damage if you are not careful or sure what you are doing while logged in as root.

16. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13