help! i knocked a key off my powerbook keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by russed, Nov 28, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well i was sat next to my router sorting things out with it and then he phone rings, i reach to pick it up and it falls off the desk and lands on my powerbook keyboard. we now my alt key has fallen off. i have the top and 2 bits of plastic. i can work out how they all go together but i cant get them all to go back together as it is some form of scissor movement and i cant get a bit to jook over another without lifting it up so i can see what im doing but then it wont reach. help what can i do? is there an easy way of getting it back on?

2. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well anyway i have now got it back on again, it was one filldly job, but anyway, i have crached the ctrl key next to it. can i get a free one off apple or something? i have apple care.

3. Mark James macrumors regular

Free? From Apple?!?

The official repair is called 'a new keyboard'. The unofficial solution is to flutter your eyelashes at your nearest authorised repair centre. They will normally have a stash of duff keyboards which they're happy to break for smiley customers.

4. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

what if there isnt a repair center near (the nearest being about 5 hours drive away!) can they send me one?

5. Mark James macrumors regular

Phone them up and be really, really, unnaturally pleasant...