HELP! I lost my Office vX CD!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrv3034, Sep 10, 2004.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Hello, all. I need your advice... I'm in the process of upgrading my wife's notebook from an iBook to a PowerBook, and realized that I can't find my copy of Office vX! We've been in the process of moving all our stuff around and throwing away bunches of crap to make room for all the wedding gifts we got recently, and I'm afraid the CD might have somehow jumped into the "garbage" pile. I bought it legitimately, and have the registration number and everything, but I can't find the actual CD.

Worst case scenario: It's lost somehow. Is there anything I can do? Can I burn a copy of the program she has on her computer and install it using the serial number? Would MicroSoft send me a copy? Who should I contact? I have the receipt...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You can try dragging the Office Application folder over, to see if the self-repair/install still works.

Chances are, the Office CD will probably turn up later when you no longer need it or look for it.
  3. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2003
    West Virginia
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Yeah, why don't you just steal it from Fry's.
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    One, I don't think Fry's is on the East Coast yet. But how is your comment constructive (alone the comment above yours)?

A better solution might be depending on the values of the poster, to go and buy the newest version via the "student" program.
  6. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    Connect the computers together via target disc mode and drag across the office folder. You might need to go into the library, application support folder to and drag any related files across.

You should be good to go... these aren't PC's, after all!

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I think that the install CD tells you to drag the folder form the CD to your Hard Drive so it should be the same from computer to computer. The installer is reeally only there if you want or need to do a custom install.
  8. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Don't worry, Microsoft will send you a new CD. They are no good without a valid product key anyway. ;-)
  9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004

I 2nd that. Once I lost my winxp CD and had a valid product key sticker on my computer that I built. Microsoft sent me a new cd easily, just confirming the cd key. I think it will be the same for Office vX.
    Good luck :)

edit: Link from microsoft:;en-us;326246

Hope it helps! :)
  10. dwsolberg macrumors 6502

Dec 17, 2003
    Make a copy

Just make a copy of your Microsoft Office folder on a CD. That works fine -- it will stay registered to you. This works in v.X.
  11. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Thanks, all. I was able to drag it from the iBook to the PowerBook after I networked the two together. Office works great now.

I will, however, get in touch with Microsoft to get a replacement CD. It's good to know they honor this type of thing. Thanks again everyone for the replies!
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    OT: MS VPC 6

Glad it worked for you.

Does anyone know if the same technique works with VPC? Tried to move VPC from the boot drive to my external HDD and got some missing file error when trying to do the copy.
  13. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I believe it'll work with VPC - though it might only work on the boot drive.
  14. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    you could just burn that MS Office folder to a CD. Because to install it, you just drag and drop it from the CD in the first place. So no need to pay shipping and handling to MS for a new CD.