Help!!! I screwed up! Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by WillMak, Jul 31, 2005.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a ibook 12" combo drive. I was looking forward to getting a free ipod mini but I screwed up. I looked at the rebate form and didn't realise I had to buy them both on the same receipt. Instead, I bought the ibook online (with custom harddrive) and was looking forward to buying the ipod mini in the apple store then cutting out it's UPC and mailing it in with the ibook (when it ships) UPC. I went to the apple store today and they told me the dreaded news that I needed both on the same receipt. The ibook has already shipped. Am I totally screwed out of a free ipod mini now? Did this happen to anyone else? What can I do? :(

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Call the Apple Store (online)'s customer service. Explain calmly and sincerely what your mistake was (be nice... it is actually, sadly, incredibly obvious from the website that you have to put them both on the same receipt....) and ask them to help you out. Tell them you're really excited about being an Apple user and you want to get the full experience, and you just didn't understand the website and would like their help.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

call apple and tell them you wanted to order it and somehow it didn't work. probably they help you there. try some begging and crying on the phone.

you could always try to cancel the ibook deal (return it) and buy the same ibook again with the ipod. it might end up being better than getting no ipod at all.

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Good advice man! :) hehehe

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just watch out that there is no official policy, AFAIK, allowing refunds on custom ordered machines, at least here in the US. Lots of people have found Apple friendly, but I was told quite clearly when I asked when I bought it that there was no money-back-guarantee period if the computer was customized....

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Basically, they don't have to help you on this one. However, they will probably let you return and then purchase both items together at your local Apple Store if you ask them nicely.

7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

There is a restocking fee on opened products.

8. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't received my ibook yet, It's in China right now. this sucks.

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I know, but if he is going to buy it right back two seconds after he returns it, they may well be willing to accomodate. After all, there wouldn't be any restocking involved, so why charge a restocking fee?

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The rebate center is hard core about " the rules"

I messed up getting my system 2 days before the
    $100 education rebate started, so Apple customer service allowed me a $100 shopping spree for anything available at the Apple Store online.

I ended up getting the M-Audio Keystation 49-e FREE! :D

If you can stand to wait, then it may be best to completely cancel your order and return the iPod
    as long as you are within your first 14 days.

10% restocking on the iPod would not be all that terrible.

Then re-order everything together by phone and
    consider paying for express shipment.

You have every right to cancel/return your order no questions asked within the 1st 14 days.

11. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the thing is I only ordered the ibook from the online store. I went to the apple store today to pick up an ipod mini but realised I was supose to buy it at the online store at the same time I placed my order for the new ibook. Is it a good thing that I haven't bought the ipod mini yet?

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, but what about UNopened products?

13. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Really you should have just read the rebate form before ordering anything. It is best to print out several copies and make sure you read ALL of the requirements. This will help you avoid future problems with rebates.

But I would just call Apple and explain the situation and they should be able to hook you up. They are known for their excellent customer service.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

In that case just be honest and call in your request
    to cancel/ reorder.

The Apple phone order guys have this happen all the time, so don't worry about any awkwardness.

15. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

but how can I cancel if my order is already in the "shipped" stage?

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Get your online order information and call 1800MYApple!

It may take a day or two for your credit account information to clear once you have confirmation
    from your sales rep.

If you qualify as a student, don't worry the phone reps will just ask you to confirm verbaly.

In fact they may still be available right now since they're in California.

17. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

YAY!!!!! They Fixed it for me!!!!!!!!! Support (raymond) said what ipod mini would you like an dI said silver 6 gig and he said "alrighty!: and that's that! it's comming in two seperate invoices but they're all on the same order!!! Yay!!!!