Help, I Think I Bought The Wrong RAM!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paxtonandrew, Aug 11, 2004.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Hello,

I just came back from my computer supply store (Dick Smith for any Aussies out there), and I am about to put it in my computer, but it looks too big, but I can't tell if its right or not. The packaging says: 512Mb DDR PC-2700. It has one part missing out of the middle of the bottom of the chip, where it fits into the computer. I just spent AU$150 on ram, and if this doesn't work, I will be rather disappointed.

Did I get the right ram?

Thanks for your help

2. Bonnie macrumors member

It is a SO-DIMM, right? DDR?

How many pins does it have? The correct ram should have 200 pins.

What you wrote looks correct. You do need a DDR PC-2700.

Check crucial.com to be sure your ram compares correctly. I'm pretty sure your ram will have a "space" near the pins and two also on the sides. They have pictures of what I'm talking about at Crucial if you do the correct search.

Good luck.

3. paxtonandrew thread starter macrumors 6502

What you described is correct, but the problem is that the ram is bigger than the slot where the ram goes into at the bottom of the computer. Is there a way of telling if the ram is DDR or SoDimm?

Thanks

4. Bonnie macrumors member

5. paxtonandrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks heaps for your help, it is now evident to me that i have the wrong type, and I am going to take it back after work tomorrow (late night shopping) Does anybody know id crucial ships to Australia?

6. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

i get my ram here
    http://cworld.com.au/
    good quality and cheap.
    shops in sydney and melbourne.
    about the same cost as importing from the us.
    the mac ram is "kingston".

7. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

well technically you can get anything shipped to anywhere on the planet. I know people in japan who had the ipod mini shipped to them weeks before it was "released" there.