Help! I tunes not reading external hard drive!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mligertwood, Jan 10, 2007.

1. mligertwood macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2006
    I have an old G4 and it did not have enough space for all my music that I had and I kept all my music on my ipod. I just got an external hard drive and ripped all my music from my ipod to the external drive. However now when I try to go into my itunes prefs and change what folder the itunes reads from it doesnt work!! I have searched all over for an answer and they all tell me to do what I have already tried. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you so much!
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Did you literally just rip the song files to the external or is there the appropriate folder layout and associated data files? You may need to reimport the tracks manually by dragging them into iTunes. :eek:
  3. bozigle macrumors regular

My music library is also on external HD.
    I got some problem when the HD doesn't start fast enough compared to iTune (my ipod is plugged or i start it first thing and forget about the hd start)
    --> make sure your HD is up when Startin iTune otherwise it return to the default music directory
    You imported your files from your iPod... i suspect you just move the files around nd iTune has no reason to find them.
    --> in iTune pref-->advance choose your externalHd>whateverdirectory>
    then still in pref check that iadding to libray will copy your files.
    then select all your songs (search .mp3 if they are in subdirectory) and drag them to your library... then remove the files you copied in the first place from the ipod

it cross my mind that you might have used iTune7 new functionality transfert from ipod... this does copy only file you purchase from ITMS... not with the ones you ripped yourself