Help - iBook audio seems to have gone screwy...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Phil_S, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Phil_S macrumors newbie

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed something a bit weird going on with the audio of my iBook G3 900 and I'm wondering whether it's a hardware fault or somethink else... Basically, when I turn it on the startup chime seems extremely loud, to the extent that it distorts. When OSX is actually running if the volume is turned up loud a lot of warning sounds and alerts produce the same distortion, which makes me think that one of the speakers on the iBook is playing up.

However, what's odd is that when I turn down the volume, all sound becomes pretty much inaudible around the half-way point on the volume control. Also, playing music through iTunes seems a lot quieter than it used to be although I could be imagining this :)

So far I've fiddled around with the microphone settings so that the input volume is set to minimum. I've also repaired permissions and reset the PRAM - although the chimes that play when I do this seem to be of a "normal" volume.

Everything seems ok through headphones so I suspect I'm answering my own question, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions before I take the iBook in to get it fixed!

Thanks in advance...

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds to me like a hardware problem - not a fatal one that causes your computer to not work, but annoying nonetheless. Take it in and get it fixed!

3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

The initial chime's volume should be the same as the volume of the computer when shut off.

However, it sounds to me like a problem; before you have it checked out, try this:

Connect your iBook to some headphones or external speakers and see if the problem repeats.

If it does? - sound card. If it doesn't? - iBook speakers.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you read the original post thoroughly? Phil_S already tried headphones, and they work fine.