Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithpetey

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
im trying to run my 12" 1.2 ghz ibook in clamshell mode but whenever i do it only displays the extended display on my external monitor. so i cannot see the dock or top bar. i got it to work once when i just started hitting keys but i cannot get it to work again. have any ideas? also system prefs seems to crash alot when i use clamshell mode.

thanks,
keith

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Have you tried changing screen resolutions to match the external display?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't use iBooks in clamshell mode. Unlike PowerBooks (which have this feature inbuilt), iBooks dissipate a large proportion of their heat through the keyboard and having the screen closed severely limits this leading to...

keithpetey said:
seems to crash alot when i use clamshell mode.

...And quite possibly long term hardware damage. :(

keithpetey

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
the funny thing is that i had my hd crash on it so i took it to the apple store where they fixed it. while i was there i inquired about how to use only an external display and the genius said to just close the top. when i asked her about heat issues and the lcd, she said that it will be fine as long as the bottom was raised like on an iclear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.